Add some comments to history of submissions

With some recent contests and multiplayer games, people do a lot of submissions, which are sometimes just little tweaks and sometimes are just the same code. It is really hard to distinguish those submissions in history.

I suggest adding a feature to comment your own submissions, e.g. indicating how far up it actually went, what did you tweak or fix in there etc.

Also, it would be great to have a field for optional comment when you actually do a submission, mostly for description of changes made.

Also, it might be a good idea to have some kind of automatic versioning system and some basic tools to revert to previous version labeling such an action appropriately (e.g. “v.2.3.0 reverted to v.2.2.1”)

Similar topic:

13 Likes

Agreed. I also had this in mind when sorting through my submissions.

That’s why I started to use GitHub. Honestly I may be writing more code at CodinGame than I do at my work, and I want to safekeep the code, in case the website shuts down for some reason.

Hi there CG Team.

I sign under that 100%. That would be very helpful because at the moment I am making a lot of screenshots instead of just trying few different solutions and more time to actual coding. Like Bob mentioned: simple ai-points/rank/complete% would be more than enough.

Cheers.

Yes, please add that. Would be very useful especially with long-term MP games.

This would indeed be a very nice thing to have! Trying to find code in your submission history can be a real pain in the rear. :frowning: It would also be nice to be able to manage your submission history, like hide/remove entries.

you know a quick workaround to this is to put some comments at the top of your code each time you commit so you know what you’ve changed.

But yes I agree.

Sometimes I don’t know how I would like to label a submit until after I’ve already submitted it and see how it performs in the arena. :slight_smile: Can’t go back and change the comments after it’s been submitted.

• danBhentschel
1 Like

Even some small things would be nice to have, right now history is the equivalent of a bunch of unlabelled text files, which isn’t that helpful.
Some suggestions:

• How high it was initially ranked. This doesn’t need to be up to date, it just gives us a rough idea of how the code performed
  • Some way of comparing 2 sets of code. Similar to how GitHub has the added/removed lines I guess. This would help us distinguish them better.
  • Commenting/labelling for each set of code. To keep track of bugs/good features/todo/etc. when going through the history
  • Some way to save/update the code without having to resubmit. Some changes might not need retesting against everyone or are just formatting changes.

Love the site, keep up the good work :slight_smile:

I’m greatly in favor of items 1 and 3. You can do item 2 yourself using the existing Send Code to IDE button and copy-pasting to your local machine. I do it every time I break my bot (so pretty much all the time :slight_smile: )

Item 4 would be tough to implement and defeat the purpose of keeping a history. Plus, unless I’m mistaken the historical version is used when other people are testing against the bot you submitted.