ASCII art puzzle discussion

bug?

Failure
Found: "# # " (last 1 space)
Expected: "# # " (last 2 space)

why he expected 5 len in last line with " "?

Hey guys,

From what I can see Iā€™ve solved it usign Python 3ā€¦ the output console is showing the characters as youā€™d expect but Iā€™m still getting a fail on every test except the ā€œEā€ test.

Would anyone mind looking at my code and telling me the error here? and how can I show someone my code and it doesnā€™t seem appropriate to post it here.

It may be something to do with whitespace at the end of the printed string but even doing print[:-1] or -2 and playing around that doesnā€™t solve anything.

Any help is appreciated.
Cheers
Glen

Hi, guysā€¦ Can anybody help me please??
Iā€™m trying to solve it in bash and I get this ROWS:
# ## ## ## ### ### ## # # ### ## # # # # # ### # ## # ## ## ### # # # # # # # # # # ### ###/n
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # ### # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #/n
### ## # # # ## ## # # ### # # ## # ### # # # # ## # # ## # # # # # # ### # # # ##/n
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # ## # # # # # # # # ### # # # #/n
# # ## ## ## ### # ## # # ### # # # ### # # # # # # # # # ## # ### # # # # # # ### #/n
(I putted the /n to mark the EOL, because the font grows with the hashtag, I donā€™t know how to escape the hashtag)

As you can see, the lines comes trimmed, so itā€™s very difficult to echo the right representation of T.

By changing the language to Java, the ROWs come right, like the exampleā€¦ Can you fix it, please?? I donā€™t figure out how to work arround

Hi

It works for me in bash. You must use the good option to read inputs correctly.

There is a problem with the default code provided in Rust. By default the rows that are read have a ā€œtrim_right()ā€ā€¦ how ever, this would destroy things like the question mark. There might be a way working around it, but it would be more intuitive to just not do it.

2 Likes

I would be grateful for explanation of the 5th test.

@Miljkoyu @wojciech200 You can have a look at the test cases by clicking on the top right button in the tests section

If the error you get is

Found: .----------------. .----------------. .----------------.
Expected: .----------------. .----------------. .-----------------

then you have to change the first line of letter N. It is the only letter in the ASCII font that has one more ā€˜-ā€™ in its first line. I first thought, the change only occurred on the last character of a given string, but it is just really the letter ā€˜Nā€™ being different, intentionally or not.

Hello guys, I managed to finish this puzzle 100% using C# after 4-5 days of hard work. I learned plenty of stuff on my way to solving it but I found it brutally hard. One one hard I feel good because I managed to put together complicated pieces of code that work perfectly together but on the other hand I feel discouraged because this puzzle is labeled as ā€œEasyā€.

Do I really just suck at programming or this problem wasnā€™t so easy? Also does that mean that the next problems are going to be impossible to solve unless you are a senior developer?

Looking forward to hear your thoughts about this guys.

1 Like

if you managed to pass it, you can now check the solutions of other players. I believe you can learn a great deal this way

1 Like

Thank you, it makes sense. I can now check to see if most of the solutions are more elegant and well thought!

Hi, I have a problem with the ā€œTest full alphabet in CAPSā€ test, I tried this string ā€œWMADXESFGIJVTHKNOBPLYQRUZCā€ and itā€™s work but the test is not valid.
Please help me I donā€™t no whatā€™s wrong

Thank you so much man! I didnt know that you have to change lower case letters to upper case :slight_smile:

Hi everyone,

Iā€™m having trouble understanding the instructions so hopefully someone can shed some light to help me get started.

For the first test case, the width L of a letter represented in ASCII art (4). The height H of a letter is 5. What does it mean by ā€œThe line of text T, composed of N ASCII characters.ā€? Does that imply that the input (E) is actually not the letter E but the ASCII version of E?

This line is a capitalized ASCII text, ie something like THIS.

Okay so hereā€™s my follow-up question.

Is the goal to somehow have the program understand T (the ASCII text) and use ROW (which is something like a column of #'s) to print out a representation of T? I donā€™t quite understand what the for loop is doing because I donā€™t know exactly what ROW is and how the loop iterates from 0 to H (which is 5) to print out letters A-Z in #.

You are given an ASCII text line that you must convert it like cowsay in an ASCII art text.
You are given the dictionary too but some ASCII characters are not in the table. Use ? instead.

Canā€™t understand how to pass M@NH@TT@N. Looks like I donā€™t getting ā€˜@ā€™ letter from incoming alphabet. Am I right? If so i need to simulate @ on my sideā€¦ How @ on ascii art looks like?

The characters that are not in the intervals [a-z] or [A-Z] will be shown as a question mark in ASCII art
:smiley:
Heh my bad. I should replace it with ā€˜?ā€™

What is ā€œgoodā€ option??