ASCII art puzzle discussion

i tried its but my dizi when i declare outside i can’t reach f.length() i need f.length because it changes constantly :smiley:

Split it up into a declaration (before the loop) and a value assignment (inside the loop).

Same… Anyone found a solution? i check the lenghts of each i have a perfect rectangle of 36 in len and 5 in height…

If you see an error message like this…

Failure
Found: Nothing
Expected: Nothing

it implies there could be too many or too few Carriage Returns at the end of your output. Most puzzles require exactly one ending CR. This one seems to accept two.

Tests in GoLang do not pass, however output is right. Found: Nothing. Expected: " ". Carriage Returns is made with “\n” after every string.

can someone explain me what happene in:
for (int i = 0; i < H; i++) {
char ROW[1025];
fgets(ROW, 1025, stdin);

}

this reads string “A…Z?” with specified ascii art

thank you!!!

Bonjour,
It seems I obtain the right result, but I do not validate the tests. Do you have an idea why ?

Sortie standard :

xxx
x
xx
x
xxx

Échec
Trouvé : "xxx "
Attendu : "xxx "

Thank You! I was Writing a line for every line… and after using only a string it works.!

Man, I was about to post the same error - in the Rust version, this line

let line = input_line.trim_right().to_string();

should not have .trim_right(). Wow, wasted over an hour thinking on why my math was off by one! :smiley:

1 Like

I do not manage to success in this game whereas I test to delete or add the line separator. I test with or without the addition of newline and it does not work.

String newLine = System.getProperty(“line.separator”);
resultat_final = resultat_final + new String(resultat)+newLine;

I am getting mad how to manage the carriage return i tried many things but the right one (\n, \r,…) for end of line. Any clues please ?

i will not help but i got same issue as you

This test would be better if one of the first inputs was which letters will be described. Then we don’t get solutions that break under non-ASCII solutions.

Knowing which letters are going to be described still allows for a minimal solution without allowing for hacky solutions.

Not sure what you mean there. The last line of the statement describing the inputs says:
Following lines: the string of characters ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ? Represented in ASCII art.

Yes, but they don’t give you a line in the code that tells you “it is the following letters”. I’ve noticed the top answers abuse ASCII properties. Despite it being called ASCII art, using stuff like char - ‘A’ is really bad. The final two lines should have been “A…Z?” followed by the representation of “A…Z?” as ASCII art.

The puzzle is all fine and dandy, but seeing upvotes for solutions that fall apart with real-world data bugs me.

I passed most of the tests but when it gets to the last one where the characters are formatted differently it doesn’t work. I’ve tried just outputing the new characters to see what they looked like but they were all messed up. Is this supposed to be like this?

Make sure you’re grouping them by the dynamic size properly. If you have:

ABCDE

You should group them a lot differently than to:

AAABBBCCCDDDEEE

If you turn on “custom test cases” (options > expert mode), you can use “A-Z” to manually mark the regions, then when the stuff you print isn’t a full color block you want, you know how much you’re off by.

Hi All,

i got problem with the 4th test case. How you solve the problem for the character @ ?

Thanks