ASCII art puzzle discussion

or you have an issue in your code when you insert an integer in the middle :slight_smile:

cout << offset;

Hi Thibaud,

First of all, thanks for the answer.

But I donā€™t understand.
On the screenshot, you can look at my code on the right.
I do not insert anything, I just print the input.

Sorry if Iā€™m missing your point.

I canā€™t see much on your screenshot :wink:

I just tried outputting the input and got it right. Moreover, if I remove the line where you print the offset variable in your code, I get no issue.

Okā€¦ Iā€™m just dumb af XD

And now I understand your first message. I didnā€™t know you could see my code.

Sorry for bothering you for such a silly mistake.

Thanks!

I had problem with the Lorem ipsum test in Lua.

To solve it I used the function string:gsub() and the necessary character class. In this case the %p & %s classes.

I would read the T string via the gsub function and that way replace all the ā€œunknownā€ characters with ā€œ?ā€.

Iā€™m trying to do this puzzle in Python3.
Iā€™m confused about the output string. Regardless the algorythm, even if I print a static string (for the first excercise with letter ā€˜Eā€™) I get odd feedback.

Example 1
If I print static:
print("### ")
I get:
Found: Nothing
Expected: "### "

Example 2
If I print static:
print("### \0")
I get:
Found: "### "
Expected: "### "

Why on earth should I use ā€˜\0ā€™ in Python? Why is the result still incorrect?

You are expected to print more than 1 line. The ā€œFound: Nothingā€ refers to the missing 2nd line.

have you mantioned space in your program, because lot of languages skip space as it is not needed. Also look through every signs like: !., ? and so one.
Hope it will be helpful!
Sincerely Boolmachine.

Hello,
Does someone know why I have a memory issue using this:

int main()
{
int L;
cin >> L; cin.ignore();
int H;
cin >> H; cin.ignore();
string T;
getline(cin, T);
int row = H - 1;
int counter = 0;
string art_array[row][26];
for(int i=0; i < H; i++) // going down the array
{
string ROW;
getline(cin, ROW);
for(int j=0; j < 26; j++) // going along the array
{
art_array[i][j] = ROW.substr(j*L, L);
std::cout << art_array[i][j] << std::endl;
}
}
}

Oh yeah easy. You say art_array[H-1][26]
but then you make i goes from 0 to H-1, instead H-2

Oh yeah I see it know thank you very much

for (int i = 0; i < H; i++) {
    char ROW[1025];
    fgets(ROW, 1025, stdin);
    printf("%s",ROW);

}

Comment est ce que ce code renvoie toute les lettres avec # caracteresā€¦ Je ne comprend vraiment rien Ć  cet exerciceā€¦ quelquā€™un peut il me mettre sur la voie ?

Hello bro I am new to codingā€¦ I am using cpp language. I am not able to understand how to do this question. Can you please help me?

I donā€™t understand how Iā€™m failing the Lorem ipsum validation testā€¦

Something I said on discord as the above case was brought up which might be help to others in the future: Be careful of using regex, since cases might have punctuation marks like periods, and you could guess what /./i does~

[English]
Hello. Iā€™m trying to solve this ā€œpanelā€ problem. I donā€™t think I understood the concept of this exercise.
I created an alphabet using the character ā€œ#ā€ as a ā€œledā€ of the panel. My code passes in 4/5 initial tests. The fifth test shows a new representation of the alphabet (which was not in the instructions of this exercise). So I think I should create another alphabet that depends on the sizes read in the input? I really donā€™t know what to doā€¦

[PortuguĆŖs]
OlĆ”. Estou tentando resolver o problema do ā€œpainel de aeroportoā€. E nĆ£o sei se entendi bem o problema a ser solucionado.
Eu criei um alfabeto com as letras usando # para representar os ā€œpixelsā€ do painel. O meu cĆ³digo passou em 4/5 testes. O quinto teste mostra uma nova representaĆ§Ć£oā€¦ EntĆ£o eu tenho que usar um novo alfabeto a depender do tamanho dado na entrada do programa?

Well the input is clear :
Line 1: the width L of a letter represented in ASCII art. All letters are the same width.
Line 2: the height H of a letter represented in ASCII art. All letters are the same height.
Line 3: The line of text T, composed of N ASCII characters.
Following lines: the string of characters ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ? Represented in ASCII art.

So you definitely need to read the inputs to know how each lettter is represented. Do not hardcode an alphabet

one of the tests contains a ā€œ?ā€ as input character.
this is not part of your lookup string ā€œtā€

unsure whether that is the bug or not, but itā€™s easily overlooked since the description is not clear about this.

Return value for .search is -1 when itā€™s not in the string.

Franchement je passe plus de temps Ć  comprendre le fonctionnement de vos entrĆ©es/sorties que de trouver lā€™algoā€¦ je trouve que cā€™est un peu dommage pour quelque chose qui se veut un jeu intuitifā€¦