ASCII art puzzle discussion

Hi u all. Anybody is doing it in python?
My output looks spot on to me, but i pass only E test and fail the rest of them.
Can anybody look at my code?

1 Like

I can do it.

Thanks a lot Nicolas, iā€™ve figured it outā€¦

Iā€™m really new to coding, trying out c#.

I was wondering if there was a proper way of referencing the ascii map in the input window by declaring each letter is L wide and H tall? then I could reference which letter position corresponds to which letter in T?

Iā€™ve been trying to find tutorials on referencing console inputs but apparently im bad at googling today.

apparently i skipped the one for temperature closest to zero. doing that one now.

You can trust that the given width and hight are for every example correct in L and H. just use L and H.
I made a foreach loop. It didnā€™t still work proper but thatā€™s because I had to build my string to print on an other way than I do.

Having problems with PHP, using echo with some letters like the A. The output doesnā€™t work properly with parts that start with a whitespace like the first line, because automatically removes the whitespace and prints ("# ā€œ) instead of (ā€ # ").
Did somebody solve the issue or the game?

Iā€™m a complete novice in programming, but Iā€™m trying to solve the puzzles as if there were games. So far, Iā€™ve succeeded in solving the previous ones but Iā€™m having issues with this one.

Iā€™ve tried to output the characters represented in ASCII art to see how they work, but somehow it does not give me exactly what I was expected.

For the first one it gives me the output below (the string originally goes from A to ? but for this post, I only pasted from A to F:

## ## ## ###

# # # # # # #

## # # # ##

# # # # # # #

# ## ## ## ###

Edit: sorry, I donā€™t know why but I cannot paste the exact thing in this postā€¦

It might be hard to read, but you can see that in the first line, there is a space missing at the beginning, which makes the whole line dislodged from the other lines.

For the second one (I pasted only from A to C):

.----------------. .----------------. .----------------.
| .--------------. || .--------------. || .--------------. |
ā€¦
| | || | > ' < | || | \ \/ / | || | .'. | | _/ / \ \_ | || | _| |__) | | || | \..ā€™\ | |
| ||
| ||| || | |____/ | || | `._____.ā€™ | |
| | | || | | || | | |
| ā€˜--------------ā€™ || ā€˜--------------ā€™ || ā€˜--------------ā€™ |
ā€˜----------------ā€™ ā€˜----------------ā€™ ā€˜----------------ā€™

In this one, there are too many characters missingā€¦

Anyone having the same issue? Or am I doing it wrong? Btw, Iā€™m trying to solve it in C++
Assistance much appreciated!

The Java default code is syntactically incorrect. The string variable ROW is created within a for loop, meaning anything outside that for loop will not be able to see that variable. While not a big issue, for a new coder who doesnā€™t yet have a firm grasp on how the hierarchical structure of variable creation works, this could be a very frustrating bug to track down considering its within the default code.

1 Like

ROW does not receive one input but multiple inputs, each one overwritting the previous one.

If the variable ROW was declared outside the for loop, only the last row would be available for something using it after the for loop.
At that point, this is the developer who must store what he wants in any format he wants.

Iā€™m getting this error. Iā€™m not quite sure whatā€™s wrong with it, and furthermore, I donā€™t know how to fix it.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

You lost a , at the end of the first N of Manhattan. Is it present in the imput string? Is it present on the second N of your word?

1 Like

It does not really look right as i present it here, with it not allowing to upload a picture of the error. I am using C# and by the looks of the solutions the result looks like it should for each of the test cases, yet i get a similar failure each time, with it saying it expects a space character, when the char is clearly there. For the first case the found and the expected are the same string and it still errors out. What am i missing?

Standard Output Stream:
###
#
##
#
###

Failure
Found:  ### 
Expected:  ###

You have an extra space after the # but it seems that the text should not end with extra spaces: the E is three chars wide, not four.

Hello,

I would like to have some help with my code. As far as I can observe, my output matches the tests, but it wonā€™t even pass one test. My guess is it has something to do with additional/missing spaces, but I canā€™t see where. Any hint on what happened is appreciated.
[EDIT: NO FULL CODE]

Bonjour,
Lorsquā€™il dit ā€œlettrineā€ il veut dire la lettre qui est reprĆ©sentĆ©e avec les diĆØses?

When i execute this code using BASH to see how alphabet is formatted, i get a bit mixed up hashtags.
But with other languages,i tried clojure and JS besides bash it returns good string,

for (( i=0; i<H; i++ )); do
    read ROW
    echo $ROW >&2
done

Returned:

# ## ## ## ### ### ## # # ### ## # # # # # ### # ## # ## ## ### # # # # # # # # # # ### #### # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # ### # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #### ## # # # ## ## # # ### # # ## # ### # # # # ## # # ## # # # # # # ### # # # ### # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # ## # # # # # # # # ### # # # ## # ## ## ## ### # ## # # ### # # # ### # # # # # # # # # ## # ### # # # # # # ###

Can anybody check that?

you should sticky this on top pls, took me way too long to find this burried down here.

1 Like

Hi guys, lorem.

I know some of you guys had a problem with the lorum test, the problem for me was that I had not allocate enough memory for the answer. Check that you have enough space to store all the characters you need !

Good luck,

Jo-Yun !

1 Like

Iā€™m having problem with the sixth test. Particularly with the Question mark.
here is the outputā€¦