Clash of Code : Bugs & Improvement

Hi, we have heard you, we will remove the time reduction for the next release (this week).

We are also thinking of match making to clash with codingamer of the same level of you. Stay tuned and keep giving us feedback to drive our decisions :wink:

2 Likes

time reduction can be part of strategy ā€¦
the only problem I see, is when someone has already sovled the problem, it is not fair to compete with others

1 Like

I totally agree with pk_fr.If somebody wants to solve the puzzle he will solve it anyway. You could reduce the time by a smaller amount and not remove it entirely.
On the other hand the number of puzzles is the biggest problem. Iā€™ve met the same one 2-3 times a day and I donā€™t even have to think about them.
You could find a way such we, players can send you some puzzle ideas and when playing, filter them such no one has to solve his own puzzle.

Yep, you are right, and that is something we are planning to do. It takes too much time to create the questionsā€¦ But I think the way the puzzles are selected could be improved too. We are working on it :smile: .

Released yesterday :

• we have removed the time reduction
  • up to 8 players can now clash

letā€™s clash :wink:

1 Like

My opinion after some CoC :

• Itā€™s frustrating when tests are all OK, but submission doesnā€™t give 100% . Itā€™s quite impossible to know what goes wrong.
  • We should never have a second chance on a 100% completed puzzle : too easy, not interesting, not fun. Maybe after 2-3 months ? So, if there is no puzzle corresponding to the experience of all coding gamers, they just canā€™t compete on CoC before new puzzles are added.
  • Super Fast puzzle announce around 5 min challenge, but the timer says 10 min ???
  • Reverse puzzles are not about programming, but about logic / mathsā€¦ Itā€™s not what I expect from a ā€œblitzā€ coding challenge

Coding Game guys are awesome. Thanks a lot for thes hours of fun and frustration !

1 Like

I always clash in C++.
Itā€™s a real handicap but I insist doing this because it makes the challenge bigger for me as we canā€™t complete clash without integrating our own little algorithms (Case insensitive char search/count for instance or even string split)

This is why I often end being the last. When itā€™s not the case itā€™s just because someone forgot to reduce his Python code (= Add a reminder for that ?)

Iā€™m really looking forward to clash against coders with the same language as me.

And I understand that I could also use other languages (It is the smartest solution now) however I donā€™t want to compete against coders having ā€œthe same level as meā€ with another language than C++, especially if the level comparison will be using the general leaderboard instead of the CoC leaderboard (?).

Maybe you can also make dynamic clashes, in a way that some parts of statement changes as well as the test. You could create a high amount of clashes with that method and those who already completed many of the already available clashes will not be advantaged compared to the occasionnal clashers. This would also completely change the way CoC works but a day or another it will be a necessity.

Thanks for reading this.

2 Likes

Iā€™m all for clash against same language and adding the title on report pages
Also Iā€™d really like it if we could choose the mode beforehand

1 Like

Clashes in gofling mode are now just boring. Submitting as fast as possible gives you absolutely no advantage. So you just have to golf until the end ā€¦

1 Like

Usually when golfing, I wait for someone else to submit to see if my code can be/should be improved or not. Now that there are nor more time reduction, people donā€™t submit or wait until the end of the timer, which can be freaking long for superfast challenges. So if cutting by two the delay for golfing isnā€™t approved of people, maybe we can just reduce the amount of time for superfast and coffee break golfs ?

3 Likes

I had a problem in a golfing session.

I waited until the timeout then the IDE asked me a question about which code to valid.
It did not let me answer and then asked if I really wanted to quit the webpage ā€¦ Forced to say yes and lost everything.

You do not have to golf until the endā€¦ You just have to golf until the point you think you can not do better.

If you can not find improvements, send the code and move on.
But if you are thinking to several possibilities to reduce the code size, then you have time to implement and test it, which is nice.

What is wrong with that?

It is wrong when you know that your language canā€™t golf more than others. And you know you will lose anyway. With the timer reduced, you can with the thinking faster and submit in first. You cut the time for others and even with a not very good language at golfing, you can win this way.

But now you just canā€™t. Thatā€™s not clash of code. Itā€™s more clash of ruby, python and perl.

1 Like

Great job done on ā€œClash of Codeā€ !

An idea I did not see in this thread : what about creating private Clash of Code sessions (CodinGamers could join only if invited) ?

1 Like

It could be good but I already see the actual pasters profiting of it by creating a fake account and ā€¦ you know ā€¦

Private clashes could be out of the ranking system, and allow choosing a clash mode.

1 Like

You are right, I better understand your point, this is not entertaining.

Unfortunately, I do not see how to put on an equal footing all programming languages. Verbose ones are also disadvantaged during speed clashes.

What bothers me with the reduction of time for code golfing is that it relegates the code golfing goal in the background and instead forces to code quickly. However, there are already two of the three game modes that are worn on speed, I find it nice to have the opportunity to take time to think about an optimized solution.

I do not know how it could be possible to solve the problem you have pointed out.

We are thinking of a way to create customized clash. For example only code golf and reverse with time reduction using javascript or java.

But for this, we need more players or you will need to invite manually friends to clash with this kind of very special clash.

Moreover we are working on giving you tools to contribute to clash of code questions for fast growing of problem set.

Stay tuned and continue to giving us your feedback, this really have an impact on our choices.

There is another issue.

Sometimes the result does not come because one or more players are blocking the clash even if the clash is set as ended.

It seems like a simple infinite loop in their code can block the end of the clash.
It also means a daemon process can be created ā€¦ and may make a deny of service if this is done repeatedly.

[21:04] pk_ : server BUG ? https://www.codingame.com/clashofcode/clash/report/11041bc9858b1ad7cd7bd71f213fa0297a978 still waiting for results ???
[21:05] GgS : I think i had some infinite loops

https://www.codingame.com/clashofcode/clash/report/110999c897a66b1414069140b5d06b9af4bf2

Pending results for shhdup for an hour.