Clash of Code : Bugs & Improvement

I guess you could have contests for a specific language

But surely they would need to put that whitespace code inside a string or some variable. The method I am thinking of, would not ignore whitespace characters inside strings. Iā€™ve seen this done successfully on TopCoder shortest code contests.

What about reading your own file?

Removing spaces is also an important part of golfing, for example replacing if x==' ' with if' '==x.

And in some languages (python{,3}), white space has a syntactic value as indentation, not counting them in would be the same as not counting braces for C++, for example.

1 Like

I agree, if you didnā€™t count whitespace for Python then you shouldnā€™t count semicolons in Javascript. Not really feasible. However, for python it would be nice to use tabs instead of spaces for indentation to save some characters.

I think one problem, which is difficult to solve right now, is that new players are getting pitted against top players pretty regularly. Must be pretty discouraging for the new players.

1 Like

You can use 1 space. :wink:

Getting the same puzzle multiple times ruins the fun.
I can just paste in the answer before other people even finish reading it (it seems like a lot of people are doing this)

1 Like

Quite true, why not disabling pasting on those puzzle? Hackers will still find a way, I can think of at least one, but still, most of them wonā€™t bother so much anymore.

Also, more code size/optimization games! Those ones are tough but a lot fairer.

EDIT: something to screw them even more: a watcher script that watch the input area and when onchange, doesnā€™t allow more than one character at a time (still can be hack but itā€™s starting to be trickier).

Besides other problems, that would completely break the codingame sync app. :wink:

Imo preventing paste is definitely a worse solution than the problem. People do want to use their own IDE, and if they donā€™t, they expect to be able to paste (at least internally) in the web IDE.

Also, not all people who copy/paste previous solutions do that to boost their ranking: for example I do that whenever I see a puzzle Iā€™ve already done, not because I want to crush my opponents, but simply because doing the same puzzle twice is no fun.

Itā€™s training? Isnā€™t that the point of CoC. And even if you didnā€™t want to, you indeed crush your opponent, you could have resign instead but by doing that youā€™ll lose points :slight_smile:

Another idea that i get from our conversation: we should be able to quit a clash that we have alreday done without losing points

1 Like

Thatā€™s why I support the idea of never showing the same puzzle twice to any user. Iā€™d rather have a message tell me ā€œno puzzle available for you at this pointā€ than see the same puzzles over and over and having to decide between cheating, forfeiting or getting boredā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

We have planned to deliver a few improvements regarding Clash of Code next week. In particular, we have changed the query that selects the questions.

1 Like

I also feel you shoud not win CP in Clash of Code.
The other day I did a 5 mins clash and won 800 CP -_-

Clash of Code is very fun but imho it should not count toward global ranking.

3 Likes

Why not? It is just another skill that can be measured.

The best solution to the problem of ā€œgetting the same problem multiple timesā€ is user generated content. This can generate virtually infinite interesting/fun challenges. (similar to codewars.com)

(I understand setting up a system for that is hard though, Iā€™m pretty sure thatā€™s THE best solution)

Also, itā€™s not fair that javascript uses a function named readline() for getting stdin. I think you should rename that to something like r() :wink:

We will offer to CodinGamers the possibility to create questions for Clash of Code very soon ;).

1 Like

THIS. hundred times this.

Oh well ā€¦ If youā€™re at it, Iā€™d really like that bare commands in python print on stdout :wink:

1 Like

Oh come on, Java is so much longer than that. Python is about the same length. How can you be complaining?

1 Like