Clash of Code : Bugs & Improvement

Feature request: add ability to return to your clash, if you ran out of time/fail test. It will be good for learning.

1 Like

I noticed a few clashes never finished, several times now. One of the players is left with ā€œClashingā€¦ā€ even after the timeout and the report is never finalised. I think the clash also drops from the Recent list. Anyone else seeing this?

edit, an example:

(also didnā€™t get a notification - as usual with this bug)

Bug: when a clash fails for some other player (I guess they close the window before the end) the clash disappears and can no longer be found in the last clashs list

We have spotted a bug, hopefully this will fix this issue. Weā€™ve planned to deliver the fix this week.

Edit: the fix has been release in production. Iā€™m interesting to know if there are still pending clashes (in particular if the duration exceeds 5mn after the end of the clash).

I actually stopped clashing in JS and started clashing in Python just because itā€™s pretty much impossible to win most coding golf clashes in JS.

Donā€™t think much can be done about it unless coding golf clashes are grouped by language.

Just to say but : Thank you for the contribution system ! This is gonna be awesome !
Can we say a bit more about the ā€œreviewā€ process for the submissions ?

1 Like

That might change in the future but hereā€™s the current process:

After you have submitted your puzzle, it appears in a list in our admin interface. There, we can try it and if it looks good we import the question into our question editor. We review the statement, rename the test cases, add the template to read the input, translate the statement and test it.

We have not decided yet if we will make them available right away of if we wait for more questions first. And we would also like to add the name of the contributor in the question.

5 Likes

The ā€œsubmit your own clashā€ feature is very nice! :smiley:

I have spotted what might be either a bug or a missing cheap useful feature: when you ā€œtest in IDEā€ your problem, your solution could be in the IDE, instead of the usual boilerplate.

Also, it would be nice to have a way to go back and forth between the statement and the IDE (but I didnā€™t look too hard for such a button, maybe itā€™s there already).

It also wish we could edit/cancel our submissions after sending. E.g. I suggested a puzzle but realized later that it was probably not for the correct category, Iā€™d rather not waste the reviewersā€™ time figuring that out too.

As for statement translation, there are quite a number of french people on this site who would be able to submit a bilingual statement. Thatā€™s again potentially saved time for your reviewers, but I can understand that youā€™d prefer to keep full control over that part.

But please donā€™t let this list of suggestions change the tone of my post: very great feature overall! :smiley:

I especially like the ability to mark the suggested puzzle as unsuitable for some of the challenges!

2 Likes

Thank you for your feedback. We wanted something very simple first but if this feature is appreciated we will improve it. We agree with you with your suggestions.

Perhaps people who contribute new clash of code problems should get points towards their rating.

In fact, we canā€™t give CodingPoints for this because it does not reflect completely the programming skills. By the way, we are thinking of a new system for rewarding social actions on the site.

More information later :wink:

Hello, there seems to be a huge desync in Clash of Code.

I joined a clash and asked a friend to clash with me, then I left the waiting room.
My friend still saw me in this clash, so he joined it, and kept waiting as he saw me still being in the waiting room. After few minutes he left the clash (I was still visible there) and I created a private clash.
When he joined my clash, I didnā€™t see him, and he saw default avatar in his place.
After reloading the page, I saw him and pressed ā€œLaunchā€, which resulted in error ā€œThis Clash already startedā€.
We waited for the timer to get to 0. I got into clash with 7 minutes left (out of 10).
By the time it loaded for him, there were only 5 minutes left.
After time run out, I could see his score, but I appeared as still Clushing.

On the screenshot below you can see, Iā€™m shown in the waiting room, and my friend (the sad frog) is ā€œClushingā€ even though he quit the waiting room.

i.imgur.com/QCJcCod.jpg
(Iā€™d post a full link but, Iā€™m not allowed as a new user)
Hope it helps.

1 Like

Hello @ZbigniewZibiRzepka,

Thank you for reporting this bug, another one complained to us about it and we will definitely investigate it.
Could you tell us what browser you are using?

Opera 32.0.1948.69.
Same for my friend Ā± version.
Also, if itā€™s of any help: Signing out and back in didnā€™t help with the issue for neither of us.

I had similar issues earlier today on Firefox 41.0 (none the previous days with the same browser). I joined a clash but it never opened the editor window when the timeout expired OR I just lost some ā€œgame timeā€ due a long delay. Happened a few times in total.

This evening everything seems to be back to normal and Iā€™ve successfully played two clashes. So maybe it was all just an unrelated hiccup.

When it happen, you can reload the page and if the game is started, youā€™ll go in the IDE.
Thatā€™s just a little tip while we investigate this.

I think the Clash against people using the same language is super important! Especially for the Shortest-type challengesā€¦ Thereā€™s no point in comparing Python with Java or C# in that wayā€¦

Then people would have to choose a language at start and stick to it? Or do you mean that in a given clash, people will be ranked amongst other clashers with the same language (which could mean that all participants would end first)?

If you feel at a disadvantage, you could learn an additional language, to pick when you need to write short code.
In the same way as people using short-and-dirty language could want to learn C or C++ to be on a fairer step in multi arenas.

Also, anything can happen: https://www.codingame.com/clashofcode/clash/report/2546428376adb312eaa7d53c9396d46672ab5
(I could go down to 201 after the clash, not any farther)

I donā€™t know if it is possible/easy to do but one feature I would really love is the possibility to choose the language of the IDE in the lobby. Switching language in a fastest clash often means losing (or not finishing first), so the possibility to set the language in the lobby would avoid switching for fastest clashes.

Iā€™m not sure Iā€™m very clear so lets take this example : I join a flash clash. I end up in a shortest code mode where I decide to pick Bash. I finish the clash, then join a new one. By default, the language in the IDE will now be Bash, and if Iā€™m in fastest mode I would surely prefer another language such as Python. Having to switch is usually a non negligible loss of time on Flash/Coffee break clashes. So being able to set a ā€œdefault languageā€ for all the clashes, or just selecting the language in the lobby would be of help.

But maybe Iā€™m the only one having the problem :smiley:

6 Likes

Or simply have a ā€œlanguageā€ option in profile, specifying the language used whenever you enter the IDE for a new problem, regardless of the last language on the site.