[Community puzzle] Folding Paper

Consider a simple example of folding once. The fold itself is considered as having 1 layer (you cannot “open” the paper from that side), while the other “open” sides are considered as having 2 layers.

Ok, so if I understand correctly, when I fold the paper from the bottom to the top, the top side has 2 layers (as I can fold back from the top to the bottom), but the 3 other sides (right, left and bottom) have only 1 layer ?
Thank you for your time.

No, as I said, only the “fold” side has 1 layer. Imagine you are looking at each side of the paper. In your example, the bottom side has 1 layer, and all the other sides have 2 layers each.

Oh, I think I got it .
In this example, the right side has 2 layers because from this perspective we can see one layer on top of another, but from the bottom side perspective it’s only a continuous sheet of paper ?
I didn’t understand at first that it was about an external view.
Thank you again.

No worries.

In case somebody reading this and still feeling confused, I’ve made this crude illustration:

1 Like

Very clean and self-explanatory picture, it will certainly help it some people don’t understand the exercise.