Don't Panic - Episode 2 - Puzzle discussion

Hi, Anyone could you help me to hear how to add a new elevators. I didn’t understand the action block here to create the new elevators. Looks like that action block is missing.

The action to create a new elevator is not “BLOCK” but “ELEVATOR”. The input / output section is not up-to-date in this puzzle, the information is in the Goal section.

It was a great puzzle.
I found it pretty difficult because i took a lot of time to resolve it.

But it was fun, and i succeeded to reach 100%
The test 8 was a pain :slight_smile:

Thanks for this game

2 Likes

Dear all,

I am getting the error message such as : “Your code did not read all available data before answering…”

Working in Java, I tried several things (int, INT, using a Map such as I did for targets in level 1) to count how much elevators clones have built but all of them are leading to this error message.
I guess it’s due to my misunderstanding on how codingGame works behind the code we write.
Could you please help me just for this in PM ?
Thanks.

Make sure you are following the specification provided for the turn input / output (after reading the initialization input every turn should be one line in and one line out). The error you are getting will be given if you output multiple lines on a single turn (as this gets detected as providing input for the next turn before having read it all).

1 Like

Love you guy. I understood I was just missing an else.

Thanks!!!

Hey guys, I could use some advice on determining the optimal locations for adding the elevators. Currently, I’m employing a backtracking approach to find the path from the start to the end. This involves repeatedly running the backtracking algorithm with all potential combinations of elevator placements, and unfortunately, I’m experiencing timeouts on the last three test cases.

I’m making certain assumptions in my approach: that a suitable elevator location could be either beneath an existing elevator or beneath the goal, that elevators on or above the exit floor are unnecessary, and that each combination should involve distinct floors. As a result, I’m dealing with a significant number of combinations, ranging from 3,000 to 20,000 for the final three tests, which is causing timeouts.

Any insights on how to optimize this process would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: I’ve successfully validated it to 100%! I maintained my backtracking approach, but the key was in accurately determining the possible elevator locations. Once you’ve nailed down the correct elevator possibilities, backtracking will find the path effortlessly. Enjoy!

help please

Hi, I’m stuck on test 8 “Trap”. I am using an A* search with the Manhattan distance between the position of the clones and the output as a heuristic.
I can’t get to the exit because it has an elevator on each side, could someone help me?

Try building an elevator directly below the exit position on the floor below the exit.

I used the same heuristic, and because of this particular test I had to do something to give the priority to the X axis before Y.