Haxe programming language support

Hello!

I’m wondering if there are any plans to support the Haxe programming language? And if not, I would like to try and make a case for its inclusion in the CodinGame IDE.

For those unfamiliar, “Haxe is an open source toolkit based on a modern, high level, strictly typed programming language, a cross-compiler, a complete cross-platform standard library and ways to access each platform’s native capabilities.” (Source: Haxe official website). I would have described it in my own words, but I doubt I could do it as concisely as they have.

Essentially, Haxe code is translated by the compiler into code written in the targeted language. This is useful because the resulting code runs in its native environment and has access to that environment’s features. Currently supported languages include: ActionScript 3, C++, C#, Java, JavaScript, Neko, PHP, and Python. I believe a Lua target is making progress as well, but that’s beside the point.

Last year marked ten years of Haxe. As the language matured its use-cases became more apparent, and communities slowly formed around them. By far the biggest of them is the game development community - where Haxe’s ability to target multiple platforms from a single codebase is used to develop cross-platform video games with ease. Other popular use-cases include web development (where Haxe makes it possible to easily share code between a JS front-end and PHP / Neko back-end) and mobile development. Haxe’s versatility has made it the tool of choice for projects at a variety of companies.

Haxe is still growing, and growth means new users. While there is a “play area” for the curious (in the form of try.haxe.org), CodinGame provides a much better platform for actual learning. Experienced users would benefit from this as well - keeping their skills sharp through contest participation and puzzle solving.

Hopefully I’ve made the case for Haxe inclusion an interesting one. I look forward to reading any replies!

4 Likes

As a Haxe fan, I would really love to see it happen. It should be quite easy, I think: if we use Haxe JavaScript target - you just have to call Haxe compiler and then use the .js file just like it’s done with JavaScript support. Feel free to ask me if you need any help integrating it.

2 Likes

Hello!

Maybe it is a bit late, but I just found recently CodinGame. :slight_smile:
I love Haxe so I created this small extension which supports Javascript only. (Maybe later it can be extended by other languages, too.)

Hi there,
Any news about an official Haxe support ?

Hi, I modified your extension for other languages.
It now works for Python and Lua. I tested it with lots of puzzles. Python should work for all of them. Lua only works for puzzles that don’t use regular expressions.
You can find it here

Hi Cr0m,
Nice work! Can I add them to my repo?

1 Like

Thanks. :grinning: Sure, you can add them.