IoT vs Finance

Hello everyone.
I’m 17. I just passed my exams. The problem is that there are two universities, one of which I want to enter.
The first one is the best IT university in my country. Its students received medals in ACM ICPC programming championship since 1999 and from 2004 till 2015 became absolute winners six times! If I will enter this university, I will learn about the IoT, Big Data, automation, etc. Sounds quite interesting to me.
On the other hand, there is another one university. There I will learn about programming in the financial sector. I know that there are very high salaries.
I need to choose between these ones, so what do you think?

Why don’t you post links to these universities?

I would say it’s not about where you go, it’s about what you do with it.

As for money earned because you graduated specific school, well this reminds me of Steve Jobs’ graduation speech, he never graduated, but that’s the closest he ever got.

Do some real research on the universities. See what courses they offer. Post links. State what you expect to achieve there. Or maybe you’ve done your research, but you ask questions without sharing enough information.

Personally i’d avoid the finance one and any promises of high salaries.

1 Like

Okay, here are the links:
ITMO University
RANEPA
The only thing that really matters is money, but the Internet of Things seems to be really interesting…
I probably should get the second higher education in the financial sector after graduating from ITMO. Is this plan rational enough?

Of course it is.

Thank you.

There should be no issues to join finance-related (software) companies in Russia after graduating from ITMO. There are graduates programs that usually checks basic math + dev skills that you will have for sure.
A lot of dev jobs in such companies also don’t require deep knowledge in this area, and you will be able to learn required stuff at your job or as a second education (if you still will be interested in it 5-6 years later).

Wow. Thanks.