Languages update

@Jahz for Java, we thought Java 9 and 10 didn’t bring much so we prefer to wait for 11

@qbit86 Mono was there first :grin: . We should check if .Net Core supports Vb.Net too because we don’t want to keep both Mono and .Net Core

We support C# 6.0, not 7.0 or later

@JLT I’ll ask the devs about Cython

3 Likes

We support C# 6.0, not 7.0 or later

It would be great if you specified 7.2 langversion switch in build script, even if it is only partially supported in Mono.

They say it’s possible to build VB app for .NET Core with Visual Studio; so it’s likely supported via command line too.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/core/tutorials/vb-with-visual-studio

Please, add switch -langversion:latest or at least -langversion:7.2 when running Mono’s csc (actually Roslyn). It is only 7.0 by default on Mono 5.12.0, but 7.2 is supported:

$ "/c/Program Files/Mono/bin/csc" /langversion:?
Supported language versions:
7.0 (default)
7.2 (latest)
latest

@TwoSteps Please!

1 Like

Not sure if this is related to the recent language update but the tensorflow puzzle appears broken: ImportError: No module named six (https://www.codingame.com/ide/puzzle/deep-learning-tensorflow). This error appears without having the import in the IDE code.

My code for this challenge was working and this issue was pointed out on the chat by someone trying the puzzle (@Patricia). Could you check it out please :slight_smile: ?

1 Like

Thank you, great work with keeping the languages up to date :slight_smile:

Can you please elaborate on this? Is close collaboration required to update a language version, or do you need approval to use it by the developers? I mean 1.1.50 is OK but I expected an update this time around :slight_smile:

I’d like to second the request for .Net Core (2.1 preferred) for C#, F# and VB.Net please. This will make it support all the same features for all Windows/Linux/Mac, has many new and useful language features and is the most performant version of the .Net ecosystem to date.

3 Likes

I’d love to see Cython on CG :heart:
but it might need some adjustments in the environment (for compiling phase).

Technically, it might be easier to use numba (python module).
Once installed, it needs no special accommodation in the environment,
you execute your script with the standard python command.
Please mention it along the Cython option.

4 Likes

Any word on the possibility of Elixir being added at some point?

I think it’s the language at the top of the demand list.

Here’s hoping :pray:

We didn’t manage to make C# work with .Net Core. For now.

I’m sorry, but i cannot restrain myself from leaving it here :slight_smile:

I would be glad to help with technical issues.

Now Java 11 is available, is there a plan to install it? I’m interested in the new default garbage collector. I currently experience random timeouts when running the same game several times (from 10 to 50+ ms). I don’t really know the reason but it could be due to garbage collection. I would be curious to see how it performs with the new one (with maybe adequate options).

Edit: after additional analysis, the timeouts don’t seem coming from gc nor from my code (quite weird).

1 Like

@TwoSteps

When will C# 7.3 be available?

We have planned to do another round of updates before the next contest, next month. I believe C#7.3 will be part of it.

1 Like

Please, add D-lang!
Compiler is command lined for Win\Linux\Mac.
Keyword list and formatting is not too differ from C# & C++ (for internal code editor). For first time you can use keyword list from C# totally.

The syntax highlighting is not an issue, as the editor already supports D.

Hello, any news on this? It’s really a must for rust.

Any progress on this? FAQ still lists prehistoric C# 6.0.

1 Like