Log Book: Sprint Release

@yohannjardin Yup it works, thanks.

@MaximeC Ohh the teasing !
Let me guess …
“Retrieve code from Arena” button ?
Or better, a full history of pushed AIs with score/stats of each one.
I may be dreaming about the last one :stuck_out_tongue:
Anyhow, I’ll be looking forward this :slight_smile:

2015-12-16 Sprint Release

• New feature “History”: You can now access your previous code on a game inside the IDE. Click on “RESULTS” and you will find the history tab. You can see the score of your previous submissions per language, and access the code associated to that submission as well.
  • New feature “Hint”: If you have a hard time solving a puzzle, you can now unlock hints to help you. This is already available for the tutorial and 5 easy puzzles.

• Update “Clash of Code points”: The formula used to determine the Coding Points distributed for your performance on Clash of Code does not attribute points to those who stopped playing a long time ago. And because there are less ranked codingamers, our formula distributes less Coding Points, so you may have experienced a loss of points recently.
    By the way, it is no longer possible to win tons of points by playing a single clash.

• Fix “Send to IDE”: When viewing a previous match in a bot programming game, sending the parameters of that match into the IDE didn’t always work.
  • Fix minor bugs

• TOP SECRET STUFF :blush:
3 Likes

What is the formula used to determine coding points for Clash of Code ?

The formula remains unchanged: https://www.codingame.com/forum/t/how-is-the-coding-rank-calculated/790

However, we only reward CP to those who played recently. More precisely, we reduce the “trust” we give to the score of each player every day by increasing the variance and if the variance is too high we do not give coding points. Playing one game reduces a lot the variance.

That is really cool.

[quote=“yohannjardin, post:87, topic:595”]
Clash of Code does not attribute points to those who stopped playing a long time ago.[/quote]

That is not.

So now people that don’t play everyday will lose 2000+ points? I don’t find it fair, that’s the same reason why you choose to keep the 3 best scores for contest when you changed score calculation. Now the best keep being the best, while the occasional ones, like me, will have to play everyday to just not lose all of their point?

I vote for another system, the previous system needed to be changed of course, but I don’t think it’s the answer.

Nope, you got it wrong, I’ll try to add some more explanations:

You score is attached to a level of confidence: the more you play, the more your score is relevant. In order to avoid people stopping playing as soon as they are well ranked, and in order to give a chance to new participants, that confidence is lowered a little bit every day. That is not new, it has always been that way in Clash of Code. Don’t worry, you can stop playing clash of code during a week or two, you’ll keep most of your points.

Here’s what happened after the last update: some people lost 2000+ pts because the calculation of the score was based on all the players, even those who didn’t played Clash of Code since 3 months. So, if you take the formula min(N,5000)^​((N-​C+​1)/​N), N was greater than 11000 and it’s now around 2900. That huge difference explains the lost of points for everybody.

Basically, this update only changed the value of N taken into consideration in order to remove very inactive people. But I also understand what you do not like in the current system and we’re also thinking of other solutions to have less volatile clash of code CP. But I can’t tell you when it will be done.

2 Likes

OK I didn’t get it before, that’s ok I guess :wink:

I was thinking that you lose your points if you don’t participate for like 1 week. If it’s only a change how which is considered to be a N, that’s fine by me.

Solid features ! Well played.

I missed that, I have access to previous submissions, but there doesn’t seem to be any sort of stats.

Click on the language to see your submissions from that language. Then below the date you should see the score associated to that submissions.
For example, because of some test, I have many submissions at 30 % in Bash in the image below, but the 2 older submissions in Bash have 100 % so I might take a look to these solutions if I want to :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh ok, I was looking for multiplayer games stats, such as ranking, score, etc.
But that would not be relevant anyway, since the ranking of the AI highly depends of its submission time.

Plain awesome. The log book doesn’t give it the credit it deserved, I didn’t see it either before your post, now this is really powerful!

One question @yohannjardin, how much histories are saved by language? I mean is there a maximum?

EDIT: another question, I can access code from months ago, does this means that you always had this feature available but didn’t code it until now? Awesome

That was stored in the database but not used.

1 Like

@MaximeC How about the other question? Is there a maximum? Do we lose the oldest saves once we hit the max?

I don’t remember of any limit :).

1 Like

Very good features !
Contratulations for all theses improvements in this end of year ^^

2016-01-07 Sprint Release

• New feature “Puzzle tags”: each puzzle is now associated with a list of tags. A tag indicates what type of algorithm is involved.
  • New feature “Resize IDE”: you can now change the width of the code editor by dragging the border.

• Update “Log in / Register popup”: brand new login popup. Better design and less redirections to the log in page.
  • Update “Games”: the list of games has been redesigned.
  • Improve automatically generated code: avoid unnecessary use of range in Python, remove useless read of line in C, Java, Groovy and ObjectiveC.
  • Update “Tutorial”: less steps and better instructions.

• Fix history for sponsored challenges
  • Fix minor bugs

• TOP SECRET STUFF :blush:
3 Likes

In the Onboarding, I find pretty weird that the language list can be closed by clicking on the associate popup of the tutorial (or even else where).
I would expect it to stay open until I select it (only for the tutorial).

When the code fails, the popup says:

Here is the game your code just played
Something went wrong, try again.

I dislike the wording for this step. Might be just me, but “Here is the game your code just played” just feels weird since we only have to copy/paste the solution, and if something goes wrong then there is high chance that code just do not compile because of a mistake.
However, I really like the next popup with the red message :slightly_smiling:

Submit your solution to verify the robustness of your program in different situations. Now, let’s play more advanced coding games!

Hum, I would expect the “Now, let’s play more advanced coding games!” after clicking submit, not before. Especially since clicking on submit open a panel that I am not supposed to know. So I have no information about it, there is no popup and I wouldn’t understand much of the report if I didn’t knew it already.

If I take a look at the report, I’m not supposed to know what are validators (though I can suppose what it is?). Below there is a viewer but I can’t click on anything except a full screen button and an option button that open a panel that is too height to fit in the viewer. And then I can see a panel to select something else to do.
In a nutshell, I find that the opening of the report panel is aggressive and lack explanations. After the report show up I’m kind of dumbfounded and wondering what should I do. I would prefer the tutorial to go through the report panel too.

Maybe doing something special for the Onboarding instead of the report page, and sending me to another game continuing the tutorial telling me this is now my turn to do it and that there is an help button I can click on to still guide me, and when submitting the solution the tutorial would congratulate me, explain me the report page and telling me there are other game mode I can choose from etc.
Note that this end could already be done at the end of the Onboarding. The idea of the second puzzle with a step by step help is to let the codingamer play instead of giving him every pieces of information at once.

Also, I heard the indent problem for the given code in the tutorial was corrected. At first it did not worked for me, then it worked (that’s when I remembered the feature), and then after refreshing the page I am unable to reproduce the behavior using chrome.
I’m just starting the Onboarding, choosing python3 and copy/pasting the code, nothing special.

I agree, I’ve already reported this issue. That requires a small hack to do it.

Good point.

Regarding the indentation, it doesn’t work with Windows (works with Linux and Mac OS). A fix is already ready but not released yet.

Hey, how do you log out?