Mars Lander - Puzzle discussion

Thanks for a note.

Freefall does the trick :slight_smile:

I have a problemā€¦ I solved level 1 and only got 2 achievements because I didnā€™t see about economic achievement (finish with > 300l), so I did solve it again, managing to end with 320l, but I didnā€™t get the achievement, what am i missing ? Am i meant to get it when i run the test or validate ?

4 Likes

Itā€™s because the REAL test isnā€™t at the same height as the normal test.

That imply one thing: you succeed the test by putting and arbitrary condition like:

if Y < 2000

And that condition doesnā€™t work with the real test. Try to work something with the Vertical Speed and Y to make a more global code.

1 Like

Solved it considering that there are three steps during a landing :
1Ā°) Choose the right angle to go to the middle of the platform
2Ā°) Reset smoothly horizontal speed to 0 near the end
3Ā°) Throttle to stay put with vertical speed

I had three booleans therefore : step1, step2, step3.

All the tests succeed.
Good luck.

3 Likes

You donā€™t need to submit solutions if people didnā€™t ask for it.
Moreover, we donā€™t know which mars lander puzzle you are speaking about, but i guess itā€™s more like a general advice.

But thatā€™s ok, just donā€™t provide full code and weā€™ll be friends :wink:

Alright, I wonā€™t try to publish my walkthrough, you can count on me.

My solution has a bug. I did level one using a physical solution: each frame determine: if we applied full power starting one second from now would we fail to slow to 20m/s in the remaining time? If so donā€™t wait one second - apply full power starting now. By my reasoning this should put us on the pad at more or less 20m/s.

I use that classic ā€œone-half-ay-tee-squaredā€ formula to turn speed/acceleration/time into distance.

But it doesnā€™t work. I wondering if anyone can see what Iā€™ve messed up here. For some reason I need to pad the time by ten seconds before determining how far we will go in that time with full thrust applied.

Hereā€™s some code - hopefully this isnā€™t too much code to put in this forum: CxyFox let me know if so and Iā€™ll move it to a google doc or something.

int d = Y - LAND_Y[X]; // distance remaining
    int t = (20-VS)/4; // time to reach Vf with thrust of A: (Vf-Vi)/A
    t += 4-P; // add time it takes to build up thrust
    t += 1; // add one more second so we sim hitting 20m/s above the ground and not below it
    t += 10; // add ten more seconds - I don't know why
    int s = abs(VS)*t + 2*t*t; // distance travelled = Vi*T + 0.5AT^2

if (s > d) // if distance is greater than we have available hit it
        cout << "0 4" << endl; // R P. R is the desired rotation angle. P is the desired thrust power.
    else
        cout << "0 0" << endl;

Very fun and interesting puzzle to solve. With matematical approach Iā€™ve managed to land for achievement on level 2 with 550l fuel remaining and on level 3 with slightly more than 600l. There should be also a fourth level at ā€œInsaneā€ difficulty with few caves, a stopover with refueling in the middle and maybe some tunnels? :smiley:

5 Likes

I didnā€™t want to be the bad guy :slight_smile:
Your code try the mathematical approach, i donā€™t see a problem with that, since it may be the best way to do it. What bothers me more is when people pull full 100% code.

Some may argue that it may be close to 100% code, but since itā€™s not perfect and since we are talking about mars lander 1, you can go on :smiley:

For your code itself, well ask @kijanek6 who seemed to have mastered the math ^^

Good job! I didnā€™t do the mars lander 3 yet but Iā€™ve seen the test and i agree that maybe a fourth level might be cool in the future.

@CvxFous haha, Iā€™m weak at math itself, but Iā€™m very good at combining various concepts. :smiley: My solution isnā€™t perfect, I think the ideal solution would save few percents more fuel, but as I passed it for 100% I moved to other puzzles (and got stuck there, hah!).

@agraham there are really many possible ways to solve it and Iā€™m not sure if I understand your approach correctly (though I like the t+=10; part a lot - Iā€™ve also got some various unexplainable hacks - see, we have something in common! :D).
If I understand correctly your problem is to estimate turns/distance needed to slow down from (actual) vertical velocity V1 to desired velocity V2 (less than 40 to land).
Itā€™s relatively easy if you donā€™t need to adjust horizontal velocity at the same time (so no need to manipulate lander angle). Ok, so to the merits:
Gravity force is approximately -3.7 m/s2. At 0 angle engine generates upward acceleration of 4.0 m/s2. So, at each turn you can lower your velocity only by approx. 0.3 m/s2. Given that, time needed to decelerate from V1 to V2 is equal to difference between them divided by 0.3.
Knowing T and V1 you can now calculate distance that will be traveled in that T. If your actual V is for example -50 and you have applied thrust=4 you will travel -49.7 m. At next round you will travel -49.4 m, at next -49.1 and so on. It now should look familiar to you if you werenā€™t sleeping at maths in school (hint: arithmetic progression).
Special case occurs if your initial thrust is not 3-4 or actual angle is greater than 20 (so it takes few turns to manoeuvre to correct state), but I think you should figure it out by yourself. :smile:
There could be also small inaccuracy due to rounding of floats to integers when passing ins and outs, but I didnā€™t notice it as a significant issue.

4 Likes

@kijanek6 One issue I see with your solution is that you are integrating your acceleration once per second, but the lander is giving you updates about once every 100ms IIRC so your calculation will probably be off by a bit - perhaps thatā€™s why you had to add some padding?
In my case Iā€™m simulating the future in one calculation: essentially doing continuous integration.
I think the way the lander works is every update it takes the accelerations (thrust and gravity) acting on the lander and adds that to the landerā€™s velocity and then adds that to the landerā€™s position. This means that the speed is applied over the whole previous 100ms when the landerā€™s speed was actually changing over that 100ms (integrating with 100ms step size). Thatā€™s the way games are typically done and thereā€™s no problem with that but it does mean the lander doesnā€™t move like a real object: when itā€™s accelerating it wonā€™t move as far as a real object would and when itā€™s decelerating it will go further (or maybe thatā€™s backwards - my thinking is a little muddy here).
Iā€™m going to try changing to doing the simulation in steps like you and see if that works.

In this case I donā€™t recall any paddings - dirty hacks are in collision detection. :smiley:
100ms time is timeout limit, not turn duration! One turn equals to 1 game world second, but you have 100ms to execute your calculations. You can easily verify that if your lander will move with constant velocity and you observe position changes. Next turn X equals to X+(vertical velocity+vertical acceleration). Thrust and angle changes are applied immediately in the same turn (before calculation of next position), of course in bounds of per turn manoeuvre limits. Itā€™s the method of jumping frog. In preview window you see lander moving smoothly because positions there are linearly interpolated between frame Z and Z+1, but simulation itself isnā€™t linear.

Ah yes you are right. I changed it to use a one second step size and it worked perfectly on the first try.
I would submit that this question is not really as good as it could be because it asks you to imagine you are coding the controller for a real lander, not coding the controller for an unrealistic simulation of a lander.
Behind the scenes it should be using 0.5at^2 to get the next secondā€™s position instead of just adding over this very large step size that leads to very large error.

3 Likes

Seems like the order of input for Java is wrong, X and Y coordinates are swapped and thrust P seems to be read first in the while-loop.

1 Like

1st level of this puzzle is extremely easy. I donā€™t know why it have biggest prize among other 1st-level-tasks.

Seems valid. I used the same formula, although I handled the thruster in a slightly different way.

So the idea is to start fueling when
mgh <= .5 mv^2

Where:

m = irrelevant
g = 4 - 3.711 (assuming thruster is at full speed)
h = Y - safe_platform_y
v = abs(VS) - 40 (speed difference)

Then I read the instructions again and noticed that the thruster needs to be set in 4 steps (0.4 sec), so I decided to replace these variables by estimates of their values in 0.4 seconds if no thruster output would be given.

h = Y - safe_platform_y + 0.4 * (VS + 0.4 * -3.711)
v = abs(VS + 0.4 * -3.711) - 40

Note that VS is negative when falling down

This resulted in my rocket fuelling at a heigh of 1777m and crashing with a speed of -73 m/sā€¦

I am trying to use physics to understand the logic to solving this but I am getting confused with what the parameters R and P are trying to achieve. This is something that we set right??? but why is it given as input?? Could someone help me understand the logic for mars lander 2?

We should read current values of R and P and calculate new.

Could you please explain a little more? I am unable to comprehend the logic behind this

Okay, Iā€™ll try.
Our Lander has many parameters (such as speed, fuel, rotation power, etc) which are calculated on server based on physics and magic. Every second your program reads this current (or ā€œrealā€) values from stdin and it should answer with one simple command.

E.g., program read current speed (VS = -40) and calculate:

if (VS < -30) // Oh no! Lander falling too fast!
  power = 4; // We need to speedup.
// This is the command:
print(angle + power); // "Hey, Lander! Increase your thrust up to 4!"

Nice, Lander rises. But in the next second speed wonā€™t be ā€œ-40+4ā€, it will be smaller and itā€™s exact value will be calculated on server based onā€¦ Oh, dejavu.

2 Likes