Mars Lander - Puzzle discussion

Do you plan to add the ability to blow away a part of the ship to slow it down? Just saw some guys doing it in the movie.

1 Like

VB Question:

how to find the flat ground???/

Two consecutive points with same y

1 Like

There’s a bug in the level 1 description:

vertical speed must be limited ( ≤ 40m/s in absolute value)

The vertical speed 40 is not a valid value. The description should read ‘< 40’.

1 Like

The gravity on Mars is 3,711m/s². If the lander doesn’t use the thrusters it will fall down with that acceleration. After 11 seconds the lander has a velocity of 40,821m/s. That would be to much for a save landing.

You probably already seen your lander climb up. This very fact means that 4 - 3.711 = 0.289, not 0. I know that the velocity is to be read each turn as an integer, but the internal simulation relies on floating numbers. As such, the equality operator (whatever the language) means next to nothing, because floating point calculus is always an approximation in a computer (stated in other words, you have no way to reach with certainty the exact velocity of 40 m/s).

Does anyone have a problem reading the inputs using javascript? I don’t get the right values for X and Y in particular. Is it a bug?

1 Like

I have done all mars lander levels (1, 2 and 3) in javascript and i have no problem to read inputs.

I was searching for some electronic stuff when I’ve found this amazing project (from an interesting site by the way). If I remember well, someone here has already created an interactive HTML version of the puzzle, but this project features in incredible immersive 3D environment in very high resolution !

I know I’m posting a long time after you. But, it should be noted that 21.9 degrees is the angle at which your vertical acceleration is zero. If you have acquired vertical velocity before that point, you will keep it. A slightly steeper angle would be required to slow down your descent.

i figured out how to reach the landing ground x coordinate without losing altitude, but when i reached, there is a lot of horizontal speed left. Can anyone teach me how and when to start slow down the horizontal speed?

I mean, how to know at which coordinate X, i should start slowing down; And how to calculate which angle and power to use when trying to slow down.

Thanks!

Seriously though, the answer is physics, if you look up this topic or any other about mars landers, you will see people that talk about the exact calculation behind it to know when you should start pushing down the trusters.

If you’re not willing to do physics, you can use an algorithm to guess the correct way to do it, like "if my HS is more than 20 and i'm in the landing zone, change angle in the other way so that i reduce my speed" and stuff like that.

Tell me how i can know the distance to the ground Java ?

Hello, I left at least 400l of fuel on the 5th validation test, but the third achievement isn’t unlocked. Why? I finished all of the mission.

i have a little qst
to get the last 25CP
do i need to validate my code who conserve fuel in the first submit?
cuz i did it in the seconde and i didn’t get the 25CP u_u

You can still have the achievement. However the fuel to conserve has to be on the last test of validators, (and validators are slightly different from tests in IDE) so you do not conserve enough fuel yet :wink:

1 Like

i see u_u thank you

The problem is that your formula calculates exact result which is not the case here.
See you can only increment power by 1 each move(same with the decrement) and the spaceship will move the blocks equal to its speed in the next move.
Lets take your condition suppose the speed at the point 2116m is lets say 50m/s.
Then your spaceship will start thrusting when it will be at the height 2066 m. Therefore your spaceship will crash

I hope that you find this helpful and got it why normal physics wont work. You might need a bit of modification.

Why we need to read data each turn if it is rounded data, but actual calculating goes with exact values.
For example:
Turn N:
… Y=2485 … vSpeed=-7 m/s

Turn N+1:
… Y=2479 … vSpeed=-7 m/s

Can someone explain it to me? As I could understand this happens if (e.g.)
Y=2485.02; vSpeed=-6.51m/s
So 2485.02-6.51=2478.51~2479…
[smile face headshoted]

The game engine gives you rounded data because it’s easier for beginners to parse, and really all-around sufficient to solve the problem.

If you’re able to simulate it on your own and not diverge, props to you! It might help you achieve better scores in the optimization problem, but is absolutely not needed to pass any of them.

2 Likes