Ranking calculations update

I’m not sure that many people care about XP. I think that for people the XP is just something like seniority.

Reaching legend to get the XP is “easy” (on some games it is, for others it is still a few days of work).
The real struggle starts aound top10 or top20 usually, getting harder for every further rank. XP doesn’t cover that part.
And we don’t even have an XP leaderboard, so why bother about it?

Maybe it’s time to have a leaderboard for XP actually. :slight_smile:

That being said, I am a little puzzled about what XP really means nowadays. I see three main sources of XP:

• solving puzzles in the “practice” section,
  • getting promoted to high leagues (contest + multi),
  • publishing or voting in the “contribution” section.

Personally, I would prefer to have only the first source, so that XP becomes the score for the “practice” section like CP is the score for the “compete” section.

I am not a big fan of XP from promotions during a contest, since newcomers will never be able to get it (but if the goal of XP is indeed to measure seniority as Magus suggests, then it’s okay).

And I think that the reward of 15XP for a “helpful vote” has led to a situation where votes are sometimes not so helpful. I would rather have (nothing at all or) something like 15XP for a “helpful contribution”, that is a constructive comment or an improvement of the statement that is upvoted by the creator of the contribution.

Finally, I also think that it is very important to reward activity in the “contribution” section and in the creation of community contests. But it may be achieved with something different from XP.

2 Likes

As for Clash of Code, I agree with Magus, just remove the CP for it. In the current situation, CP from CoC seems too cheap, and that is the main reason why I (among others) don’t play CoC anymore. :frowning:

1 Like

There’s a 4th source of XP. If you create a Community Contest, you earn 2500xp.

I totally agree with this.
On the other hand, I think that too many players have no points at all.
A mix of Azkellas formula with a linear term :
0.8*(BASEmin(N/500, 1)) ^(((N-C+1)/N)^2) + 0.2(BASEmin(N/500, 1)(N-C)/N)
gives the blue line (N=3000, BASE=1000) :
figure_1
orange line plots BASE*min(N/500, 1)) ^((N-C+1)/N)
maybe too complicated

2 Likes

I’d like to know if there are plans to implement this for this new year, or it’s aimed in a more distant future.
I think in the end many of us agree in the main subjects.
Best of N it’s a good approach that doesn’t drift, and it can be applied to all categories.
Multi can be even best of 10 with the main page rework (with quest maps, and achievements that encourages participating in multis).

1 Like

To be honest, I’m not sure. We agree on the new game formula but it seems to me that we haven’t reached a satisfactory level concerning

• CoC points.
  • multi best of X plan
    I think the home rework can help to decide this stuff. I’l try to keep things moving.