Ranking v2 suggestion

Against. It would be like taking StarCraft’s 1v1, teams and arcade and try to make a global rank/league out of it.

As I mentioned in my previous post, it should be separate per topic, and the profile badge should display either the best rank or let the user pick which one to use… or remove it entirely.

Split them.
You already have a leaderboard per category, it’s just too hidden:

And you can add them as separate in main page or something:

I’m grate artist.

For a general leaderboard. Obviously the exact share of each category is subjective, but it’s still interesting to have a canonical global ranking. Those who care can optimize for it, others can focus on any single category ranking they prefer. I agree with others that the single category rankings should be made easier to find and see.

For a general leaderboard too.

There’s no way to find a percentage for each category that satisfies everyone, so going this way would probably mean endless discussions and complaints. So I’m voting against it.

We already have a general/split leaderboard with the filters. Maybe just tweak the UI a bit so that it’s less hidden ?
Also the ability to select the profile badge on his profile would be nice, as reCurse said.

In summary : You could use the new formula (BASE * min(N/500,1)) to make scoring more accurate and make a leaderboard for each (currently hard-to-find) filter.

I second that reasoning :grin:

As for two choices from the original post. Neither are perfectly to my liking. The first has too high clash score I feel. The second is a bit high on contest compared to multi (yeah, that would be in my favor, but 50% seems a bit much).

The reason people prefer contest to have a high percentage because it is probably the best one to estimate a players’ botting skill (though not perfectly) and I think botting is the biggest thing we do here. But if you only care about contests, you should probably just not even look at the overall board. If you make the contest percentage too high on the overall board it will just be another contest leaderboard, but one with a large error margin (the error margin being the score from the other categories). I would prefer contest and multi to be almost the same. For example:

• contests (40%) (base 40 000)
  • multi (35%) (base 35 000)
  • opti (10%) (base 10 000)
  • code size (10%) (base 10 000)
  • clash of code (5%) (base 5 000)

Others have made the point that everyone has something they like to do, but the time investment and skill requirements for each category are not the same. Contests and multi take a lot more out of you than the other three. That should be reflected in an overall rank. I am a bit biased because i dont play clashes of course…

I get the feeling some want the overall leaderboard to disappear entirely. That would be a shame in my opinion. I do also think that the categories should be made more visible to also encourage people focusing on the one they like. Maybe put the visibility on par with the overall ranking board.

I’m with @MSmits on that one, some people seems to just want the global leaderboard to be gone. But it seems to me to be just a case of grumpy “if I’m not having fun, nobody can !”.

XP, CP, achievements, leaderboards, rankings and prices are nothing more than gamification of the platform, extra goals other than selfmotivation, to give something to aim for, extra motivation, extra gratification “You did something, get a cookie”. If you guys are looking for an objective way of telling who is the best programmer on the platform, it will never happen.

The original problem was that the player number was way too important in the formula, meaning other people not showing up would hurt your ranking and you dont have any control over it. I think that’s the thing that should be fixed. We don’t need to turn it in some gigantic overdesign.