Surface puzzle discussion

I used Java and saved all sets, each of which contains indices of the same lake. When finding the area of the lake given a cell, I simply searched the set the cell is in and returned the size of the set. When constructing the sets, I tracked flooded and to-flood cells. I did not encounter issues with the approach.

Iā€™m having issue on C# for the validation of the large tests

Actually the code below timeouts.
If I canā€™t increment an integer 1 000 000 times I donā€™t really know how Iā€™m supposed to read a 1000 x 1000 table, any clues ?

for (int i = 0; i < H; i++)
{
//if (i % 10 == 0)
//Console.Error.WriteLine(i + ā€œ/ā€ +H);
string row = Console.ReadLine();
var cpt = 0;
for (int j = 0; j < row.Count(); j++)
{
}
}

The default code does not timeout for any test-cases. And the puzzle is solvable in C# too.

row.Length is better than row.Count btw.

Thank you I had overlooked that
Much easier when parsing the input in n^2 than n^3 :smile:

Hey coders !

Just for my information, how long does your implementation takes for #9 test (large map, large lake) ?

My classical flood algorithm in JavaScript took 64ms Iā€™m sure compiled langages are even better, but Iā€™d like to know.

I just inserted a clock function around my main() function
Reading the input and everything took 53.386002 ms in C++

Iā€™m processing the map into ā€œstart, endā€ pairs on input to detect runs. This makes the subsequent searches much easier, as well as drastically reducing the memory footprint for the larger tests. I havenā€™t timed it, but it should be quite fast.

Unfortunately, even though my code passes all of the IDE tests (including the ā€œall lakeā€ test), it consistently fails the ā€œNo landā€ test on submission. Is that likely to be a validator bug?

The whole program takes 3.855 ms in Lua (according to a call to os.clock() right at the end).

Taking 53ms in C++ suggests a very suboptimal algorithmā€¦

Doing it in C# and getting 80%. I fail the cases with 100+ tiles on a 1000x1000 board because I get a File Not Found exceptionā€¦ could not load file or assembly ā€˜Systemā€™. Sounds like a bug (maybe a different exception is getting masked or something) but I wanted to ask about it here before posting on the bugs forum. Has anyone seen this before?

ā€¦and trying the same code one day later, it all worked. Definitely a bug, but I guess a temporary one.

It seems need solved with the Loops, because with recursion I got always 80%,and have stack overflows at last test :confounded:

1 Like

I have the same problem :s too much recursion

Yeah. I solved this by turn recursion to loops

1 Like

Thank you ! I I have just ended it with loop. I never had rewritten a recursive algorithm to an iterative one, itā€™s a good exercice.

1 Like

:grin:
Agree. Itā€™s a good exercice.

This a great problem ! It made me learn a lot about the performance considerations related to data structure (Set, List, Array) and optimization of the flood algorithm.

Iā€™m using Scala (would be similar in Java) and tuning the code with jvisualvm really helped me identify performance bottlenecks such as :

• computing hashes to insert a point in a Set (which is not required)
  • concatenation time of Arrays (Vector in Scala)

Unfortunately, even though my code passes all of the IDE tests (including the ā€œall lakeā€ test), it consistently fails the ā€œNo landā€ test on submission.

I have the same problem here. How is this ā€œNo landā€ test even looks like? I guess itā€™s some weird input and not even related to the actual algorithm, but validator doesnā€™t give enough feedback to figure it out.

No land? There is only water.

How is that different from ā€œAll area is a lakeā€ which I pass?

Maybe they differ in size. Are you saving the value you calculate for a lake? Maybe the no Land Test just test a bunch of points, all in the same lake, and your algorithm is recalculating it and receiving TLE.

Edit: Just saw your post was from Mar 30. Well hope it helps someone anyways n_nā€™