The Descent - Puzzle discussion

I’ve literally never coded in any language before, and I am trying the Descent in c#, but there are literally no instructions on what I’m even supposed to do. I don’t know what the goal is nor do I know how to achieve it. I thought this was a place that provided an alternative to Youtube tutorials to learn programming. Guess i’ll just go back to YouTube?

You’ll find easy puzzles like the descent on this site, with some help in the hints menu on the left and from people on the forum. But if you know nothing about coding, variables, conditionals or loops, this is not the right place to start, you first need to learn some of the basics.

3 Likes

I don’t really understand, how much is the mountain destroyed, sometimes 3, sometimes 2, sometimes completely destroyed, hmm

Hey !
It always takes one shot to destroy a mountain, and there’s always 8 mountains (but some can have a height of 0).

EDIT: I answered a bit too fast. As said by @dwarfie below, multiples shots can be needed, but you don’t have to worry about it since this variable is test dependents and not part of the inputs.

NO it does not always take only one shot to destroy a mountain …
In test 3 you need to shot twice on 2 and 3

It doesn’t matter how much a mountain goes down
You just have to shot on the highest one

Put your mouse over the picture in the pane and scroll down. You’ll find the instructions there.

I was coding i did every thing right but each time a line of code runs a single line but each time i run the code a line of code i ran the get’s hit by the object and the rest of the aims i set with my shot just stays with out running like i programmed and this is descent on codinggames

you should find plenty of hints here as why your code doesn’t work. Also, there is a Hints tab in the IDE on the left.

PS: please use , and . next time. Your message is almost undecipherable

Good Morning, I will thank you for the help

what does console.log do?

This task is 10000% unintuitive. Calling the while loop a “game loop” while the input gives you the SAME array of input for every round makes zero sense.
If it was a game loop the new input data would exclude the highest mountain after it was shot down, would it not?

1 Like

From the puzzle description : Firing on a mountain will only destroy part of it, reducing its height.

Why did I get the same array back after I shot down a whole mountain then. During the first test case using py3.

At each turn you get the updated heights of mountains.
No problem on it (457226 coders solved)

The problem should be in your code …

kinda new to progaming, gave up after some time on freecodecamp and came here: I had no idea what I was even supposed to be doing in puzzle 1 so I looked at the solution. The Onboarding was “Copy and Paste this code” then the first puzzle expects me to declare variables, use an if-statement and more … I fail to understand what this site does. Do I already have to know programing before continuing here?

1 Like

You need to know the basics : if statements, for/while loops, and variables. This site can be seen as a training area, a way to practice what you’ve learned. If you’re not there yet, you should first follow a tutorial for the language you’re interested in.

2 Likes

Hi i am a beginner at java too. Actually i had the same problem as you. I was hoping we could solve the problem together.

I’m very new to coding. I followed along with a video that someone posted, since I couldn’t figure out the solution (this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-tPMY9wdE8), but I did mine in C++. I can’t figure out why it’s not working, but no matter what I do I’ve been getting the error “Invalid command sent. It should be an integer from 0 to 7.” I took screenshots of the code and of the error I got, but I guess since I’m new, I can’t upload the images. Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

not sure how we can help you except by telling you to output an integer between 0 and 7

That task are tough for Newbies. It must be define step by step in such task to understand the clear concept .

1 Like