[Community Puzzle] Data compression 1

Hi @JBM, @Djoums, @TBali, @java_coffee_cup

I missed the discussion, because I was busy. I would be happy to clarify the statement, but I need your help to understand, which parts of the statement are unclear and what you would expect.

As I have seen from your discussion, it looks like, that the iterative part of the compression is unclear. Maybe you can comment what you would expect in the statement.
The second thing I have seen, is the punctuation. This should be explained in rule 2, but I can adjust it, if it is unclear.

1 Like

It’s the same question I asked during validation, the rules aren’t clear enough about “chain compressions”. With the example given above “indolore dolor dolore”.
“dolor” has 2 matches, the sentence becomes “in/1e dolor /1e”.
Then “/1e” has one match and the sentence becomes “in/2 dolor /1e”.
Therefore “dolore” is never indexed as is, even though that’s what people naturally expect.

1 Like

@Djoums @JBM keep it on topic please and keep your grudge for private discussion.

I also ran into the aforementioned issues:

• Punctuation needs to be clarified (e.g. “we only consider words containing alphabetical characters, all other characters are left as is”).
  • Guess work involved in which words to index when.

In addition, consider the following case: “abc cdef abcdef”.
The algorithm proposed in the solution gives “abc cdef /0def”, when a more efficient compression would be “abc cdef ab/1”. This is explained by “the iterative nature of the compression”. But this appears absolutely nowhere in the puzzle description.

2 Likes

No sign from the author so far so I took the liberty of editing the description, hopefully it’s clearer now.

2 Likes

Thanks for editing the description. I will have a closer look on it at the weekend.

I added a section of “Assumptions” in the statement, with the purpose to clarify plenty of “you ought to have known” properties which initially I did not know at all.

2 Likes

hello, is it possible to have a little hint for the “reverse and part” validator compared to ide test ? (got 100%ide, 80% submission). thx.

Here it is:

Input:

Will the press write a text about compressing a text within a test, just to test if the text will compress?

Output:

Will the press write a text about /11ing a /4 within a test, just to /8 if /1 /4 will com/2?

1 Like

thanks @TwoSteps
effectively, i get another one :wink:

Will the press write a text about com/2ing a /4 within a test, just to /8 if /1 /4 will com/2? 

will check why i do not use the 11th index.

edit: pay attention to ponctuation signs :smiley:

1 Like