IDE Editor - how do I make tab insert real tabs, not spaces?

In the default web editor, hitting tab produces 4 spaces. I want it to make a tab instead, which will work the same as the spaces but only take up 1/4 of the characters for the purposes of the 100k character limit, which I’ve hit, and all those wasted space characters make a big difference.

I tried playing with the key bindings in settings but I’m unfamiliar with Visual Studio and couldn’t get it working. Does anyone know a trick for this? Thanks.

For Visual studio you can go into the options/Text Editor/Your language/Tabs to customize it.
If you’re talking about VS code I don’t think you can (maybe with an extension).

I’m curious though, what’s taking you 100k characters on this site ?

For Visual studio you can go into the options/Text Editor/Your language/Tabs

I’m talking about the codingame IDE, left panel -> Settings -> Keybindings. It uses the same syntax as Visual Studio Code key bindings.

I’m curious though, what’s taking you 100k characters on this site ?

Fall Challenge 2020. I write a lot of comments & test/logging code and use quite descriptive variable names. Never been much of a golfer :slight_smile:

From what I see, indentation in VS Code can only be changed through the options menu.
You can’t change it with keybindings (the only related command is “tab”, no option).

2 Likes

OK, at least that saves me the time of chasing that blind ally. Unless someone finds a better workaround I’ll just convert to tabs & paste when I hit the wall. Thanks.