Languages update

What about F#?
If you can install dotnet core then compiling F# with it instead of mono should be a breeze.

yes, F# too of course. Wrong title of the Trello card :wink:
May happen this week!

4 Likes

They specified the month, not the year.

The famous Perl6 defense.

But Perl6 Christmas did happen in 2015.

1 Like

How is it going with .NET Core?

2 Likes

Business got in the way, but it’s still planned to have it before Thursday.

5 Likes

So python has numpy and scipy while C++ has … no relevent libraries as far as I can tell. Which is quite an imbalance.

Did nobody ask yet for libraries like Eigen or Boost? Or don’t you support C++ libraries because of linking/include path issues? In that case: Most of Eigen and Boost would work out of the box as soon as they are installed - no linking / include paths necessary.
Or is it that C++ is just too powerful already? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hi,

I take the opportunity to thank you for those regular updates. I’m an Ocaml fan, and the job done is very appreciated.

So good job and thank you very much to all the staff involved.

3 Likes

Only six hours left before the event :confused:

2 Likes

We’re deploying a minimal implementation of .Net core for the challenge:

• .Net core 3.1
  • only for C#
  • only for contest/multi/solo
  • no highlighting of runtime errors
  • Play in IDE = debug mode, submit = release mode

I’m sorry we couldn’t do the complete implementation

3 Likes

While C# coders already has full language expirience, VB not even have LINQ support, so what’s the point of such update?

Great, now my Ocean of Code bot is broken :frowning:

CS1069: The type name ‘Bitmap’ could not be found in the namespace ‘System.Drawing’. This type has been forwarded to assembly ‘System.Drawing.Common, Version=4.0.2.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=cc7b13ffcd2ddd51’ Consider adding a reference to that assembly.

When I change my code from using System.Drawing to using System.Drawing.Common, I get:
CS0234: The type or namespace name ‘Common’ does not exist in the namespace ‘System.Drawing’ (are you missing an assembly reference?)

1 Like

Any schedule for Python 3.8?

1 Like

Thanks so much for all your efforts!

1 Like

VB.NET is now compiled/executed by .Net core (same minimal implementation as C#: only for solo/multi games, no hyperlinking of compilation/runtime errors) (ping @mihei )

also “DEBUG” is no longer defined by the compiler when in debug (IDE) mode for C#

2 Likes

Great news, thank you very much!

Maybe the link is not what was intended… :slight_smile:

And that’s the wayyyyyy the news goes!

I’d like to reiterate the request for optimized Rust builds in the IDE.

Every challenge is a misery since the 10x + runtime factor between debug and release means you cannot replicate issues or even properly test your code in the IDE. It also means other players cannot replicate issues encountered against you as your code will immediately time out. And it means lots of useless submits since these are the only realistic way of trying your code against other people’s bots.

12 Likes

Hi @TwoSteps
I would like to remind if it was possible to look into the issue with Groovy language.
Not sure if it was because of the language updates done, but it seems that I’m getting timeouts for different codes from previous contests (that were working perfectly fine) as well as the last contest (Spring Challenge), if I rerun the same exact code it works sometimes, therefore, the timeouts are random for me.
It would be great if we can investigate and try to fix it.

1 Like