Mars Lander Fuel puzzle discussion

Feel free to send your feedback or ask some help here!

Level 2 - Fuel Optimization

hy i am not able to control hs speed … any idea ?

You can adjust the angle, to control hs speed.

Hello. Mars landers, this can help you : https://www.codingame.com/forum/t/mars-the-game/756

Much as you can watch a replay of other player’s multiplayer games by browsing the leaderboards, I think being able to watch a replay of the results of other players’ optimization submissions would be very educational. Wouldn’t it be nice to see how the #1 coder landed the Mars Lander with so little fuel expenditure? Of course this is hampered a bit by the fact that the actual scored verifications aren’t even visible to the submitter. Is this something we could see in the future please?

7 Likes

I agree. Or simply the maximum remaining fuel achieved in individual test cases (not just the the sum for all test cases) is useful too.

Achieved figures for reference:
Test case 2.1: 341L
Test case 2.2: 372L
Test case 2.3: 517L
Test case 2.4: 545L
Test case 2.5: 728L
Total: 2503L

1 Like

Hello

Did anyone ever try to figure out theoretical maximum limits for each tracks ?

I mean the first obvious limit is the starting fuel.

But then taking into account starting position plus other parameters and constraints, there should be some mathematical formula to devise a fuel limit.

I’m not from a math background but I made some calculation of this kind for the first track removing the X component that gave me a limit of 364 (by removing X component i mean moving the ship right over the landing ground in the problem, allowing a straight landing).

But I just can’t figure how I could integrate the X component into the calculation.

For X movements implies angle rotation which impact Y so it’s more complicated.

Anyone got a an idea :wink: ?

Hey !

I just achieved the first 3 test cases using a not so intelligent algorithm :smile:

Now I’m facing the two last test cases and clearly my tinkering will not be enough. I have to get out of my confort zone and learn new things, which is why I’m here, but I really don’t know where to start.

If someone has some guidelines or a link with some theory I could use it’ll be appreciated. Not looking for a solution but something to understand and then use in my code. (It can be in French or English).

Achieved figures for reference:
Test case 2.1: 338L
Test case 2.2: 367L
Test case 2.3: 510L
Test case 2.4: 539L
Test case 2.5: 722L
Total: 2475L