Problem with eyesight

All the greetings of the guys. I see that serious programmers have gathered at this forum, who deal with their business in two counts … You done well! Sorry and help please the beginning programmer :wink: )
The fact is that after a one-year training on programming, I had pains in my eyes … I went to an ophthalmologist and he said that my deeds are bad (because of my work) because I have dry eye syndrome. I think many of the guys from you also faced this problem … So he told me that if I want to keep my vision as is (or at least not to worsen it further) I should wear special protective computer glasses https://www.bestadvisor.com/computer-glasses.
First of all, I need to protect my eyes from the light from the monitor and from the constant “transfusion” of pixels on the monitor (PWN monitor technology). Who has already used these glasses? Or maybe you will advise which brand is good and which ones are best to take? I will be happy with any help! Thank you! :slight_smile:

I’m not sure. Are talking about “blue light” ? (in France we call it “lumière bleue”).

Yes and no. In addition to the blue light, there is still a flicker of the monitor. She also badly hurts my eyesight.

Ok. “Anti blue light” glasses are common in France. So i can give informations on that because i have it. But i don’t know anything about the monitor flickering sorry.

AFAIK, blue-blocking glasses are bullshit. PWM fliker, on the other hand, is a real thing. I don’t know how much it strains eyes, but I can easily imagine it has an effect. Ironically, having a monitor at full brightness is the best way to get rid of it and, in this case, also wearing a yellowish pair of glasses to finally dim the light could be effective. Guess it explains why everyone is wearing shades in the Matrix…

From a more practical point of view, you can have the cake and eat it by using an appropriate theme (I do like solarized) and artificially dim your screen through your OS (at home, on Linux, I could use xrandr --output DVI-D-0 --brightness .5 per instance).

1 Like

Dude, you dumped me real things! Thanks!:imp: But that’s just my eyes fled when I saw solarized. You could not explain in more detail what he does?And a little more about Iris … That is, at 100 brightness it will reduce the light from the monitor or how? I realized from the test how it calculates flicker on the monitor and that at a brightness of 100 PWN will turn off. But the greatest brightness is also disgusting to the eye. And then the Iris enters the game right?

Let be a little more accurate. You remove the flicker by setting the backlight to its fullest. It is probably labeled “brightness” on your screen OSD, but it is really the backlight brightness (provided you are using a LCD and not a cool OLED display).

Obviously, the emitted light could hurt a little, but the problem is more of a harsh contrast with your surrounding than of an absolute luminance. Compared to a sunny day outside, it is not that much. Anyway, as you are probably coding inside, you can use xrandr (or any other equivalent tool under Windows) to reduce the brightness. Here, brightness is just a factor applied to the output of pixel colors. If you’ve ever played with shaders in OpenGL (or DirectX), that’s nothing else than doing some tone mapping. As such, you are reducing your color range, but it should not be a big problem for coding.

In addition (or in lieu of, if you find it sufficient), you can use a theme such as Solarized (or Darkula or anything else which suits your Emo sensibility), to achieve the same goal: to darken the colors.

I use f.lux, it’s a tool that can help with the blue light issue. Works pretty good.

1 Like

Equivalent on linux: redshift, also very good.