Code vs Zombies - Feedback & Strategies

Oh I didn’t submit because the results were too bad and I checked the rust forum and there were was no message that Rust was updated.

I’m gonna give it another try, but have to do some extra maintenance work.

Thanks for all your help.

I’ve just moved this thread to the Rust category. You may take a look.
https://www.codingame.com/forum/t/rust-release-mode-compilation/33552

1 Like

Thank you. The community here is amazing!

I also checked the number of simulations and I can see that I can do way more with Rust now. Currently fighting some inaccuracies/bugs. Curious if I’ll be able to beat my JS score today.

Kind
Julian

2 Likes

125k > 114k.

I probably have some more room for improvement here. Learning Rust teaches me a lot about coding in general. Coming from Javascript I don’t really have a functional background.

It seems like it’s important to have memory as clean as possible and drop everything not needed, is that correct? It is so tough to find proper guidelines for that online.

I don’t know much about Rust, but on Google search I’ve found this: https://nnethercote.github.io/perf-book/introduction.html. Maybe it’ll be useful to you?

Thank you! This is definitely useful. Currently busy, but will work on it later.

I think I’m coming to an end with this puzzle for the next time and work on other stuff.

I’ve learnt quite a bit about Rust and performance optimization in general, but I’ve spent the last 2 days optimizing without any improvements. A lot of marginal wins, but I don’t yet have enough skills to optimize Rust code and the benchmarks are very variable, since there is obv RNG involved. Even if I track them it’s tough for me to see which ways of coding are the better and which give me more simulations. Even if I achieve more simulations it’s not guaranteed that I’m gonna find those super high point combos.

From what I learnt Rust is memory safe and typed which can be tough to performance optimize. I think my learning curve for now will be higher on other things. And I should probably restructure my whole code once I’ve learned more about rust or I can write my own simulations.

There is definitely more room for improvement. But it’s a problem for another day.

1 Like

On the optimisation problems, would it be possible to put the total score on the “Play All Tests” button, if we pass all tests, the same as you do for each individual button. This way I won’t need to guess if I have an improvement, I will get the actual number