[Community Puzzle] Equivalent Resistance, Circuit Building

I don’t see any issues.
“Complex” test case has 7 unique resistors.
Selected language doesn’t affect test cases.

Are you sure you are reading the input correctly?
You can view the whole input for each test in the Testcases section (hamburger icon).

2 Likes

My bad, I have done something fulish…
There is no issue

Just checking back in. Love seeing people still engaging with this puzzle and especially appreciate the positive feedback. I didn’t intend for there to be a validator that caused trouble not found in test cases as I am an avid puzzle solver I understand how frustrating that can be. I’ve been fairly inactive for the past 6 months but I am still here and responding to messages on this puzzle (because I get emails about it!). Cheers and happy puzzle solving!

1 Like

Based :wink: .

Just solved this recursively in Dart:

Spoiler alert!

Nope.

Thanks for the validator, I am also failing this one.
so the basic logic is wrong here cause you cant have parallel and serial at the same time. So how should we handle this ( [ ] ) ? use only one? which one? or calculate twice? I just can’t get it.

Anything in parenthesis is wired sequentially, having only one element doesn’t change that.
( [ A B ] ) would give you this :

+-- A --+
--+       +--
  +-- B --+

Thank you but I am sorry I am still not getting it. Or I do but when sequential wiring is just adding elements ( so ( A B ) = A+B), that means that in this case I only need to calculate the parallel wiring inside and only add this element?
Just to be clear - so ( [ A B ] ) would be just 1/(1/A + 1/B) ?
cause that is what my code is doing and it fails

Yes that’s correct, but if you don’t get the right overall value then your issue is somewhere else.

bloody hell… you know where is my problem? It is not the 4th but the 5th (More Complex Validator) that I am failing. The 4th was ok all the time :smile:
Sorry for bothering you with this one and thanks for your patience. Any chance I can see the input for the 5th? The 5th test is ok but not the validator.

Here you go, I finally found the spoiler tag :partying_face:

Summary
Input
ratS 66
[ ( ratS [ ratS ( ratS ratS ) ] [ ratS ( ratS ratS ) ]

Output
2 Likes

Thanks, however this was the last validator (or the 6th), wasnt it? I got 77.0 on this one without any code change.
The one I cannot figure is the 05 More Complex Validator problem with my code. So the one between 4th and the last.

Here is the list
01 Series Validator
02 Parallel Validator
03 Combined Validator
04 Complex Validator this is the Hotel India etc
05 More Complex Validator
06 5-pointed Star Validator this I think is the ratS

Right my bad, the 5th validator is this one.

Summary
Input
Gimel 40
Dalet 14
He 10
( Gimel [ ( Dalet Dalet ) ( He [ ( He He ) ( He [ Dalet Dalet ] ) ] ) ] )

Output
2 Likes

Oooh, thank you so much. I can see right away where is my problem. I cant believe why I did not solve this issue cause I remember thinking about it in the beginning.

What was wrong?

I was creating variable names for the calculated parts from the names of items, so once I had DaletDalet computed for serial, my code did not calculate it again for parallel DaletDalet :shushing_face:

All ok now, you helped me a lot so thank you very very much :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I had to test :
[ A ( B ) ]
and now my Complexe test is OK

Hint: validator 4 “[ A ( B) ]”
Thank you for this ill-formed example (missing one space).
Actually this game is more about guessing blindly what is the parser than computing resistances.
THIS GAME IS CLEARLY MISSING SOME TESTS!

Validator 4 isn’t missing any space.

I corrected the expression

Can there be a multiple connection of the same type or not?
In some test there have a combination like ( A B C D ) or [ A B C D ] ?
Why is [ ( A B ) [ C A ] ] used in the puzzle description and not [ ( A B ) C A ] ?

I started learning Python about 4 months ago and I find this puzzle difficult. After more than 10 hours of searching, I still have no idea how to do the parsing, or where to start…