[Community Puzzle] Murder in the village!

Some of the discussion above may help you?

I find this, but don’t help for me.

There are still other messages in this whole thread. Maybe you may read from the start?

Lol, ya, not help more
 I redo all code like TheSwine explication, but now, it’s the validator #1 fail.

Like write when validator failed : “Les validateurs suivants diffĂšrent de ceux prĂ©sents dans l’IDE pour Ă©viter les solutions codĂ©es en dur. C’est pour cette raison que certains d’entre eux peuvent Ă©chouer mĂȘme si la totalitĂ© des tests de l’IDE passaient.”. So, if I passed tests in IDE without random/hardcoding answers; normally, I must pass validators also.

One thing you may try, though I cannot guarantee it must help you, is to use the existing test cases, change the order of the sentences, and see if your code still works.

Hi,
All the tests are ok, but validator 6 not ok. Could someone explain me what validator 6 is about, please ?
Thx

Test 6 and validator 6 are similar - the differences are:

• The people’s names are different.
  • The statements are given in a different order.

Thx, but I don’t get it.

Have you tried testing your code using a modified test case, i.e. modifying the order of the statements in test 6? There are only 2 other possible orders: the alone statement becomes the first one or the second one. And the output should remain unchanged.

In case someone else is also stuck on some failing validators, despite passing all tests, here are two custom tests I came up with, which helped me pinpoint the issue with my weird solution:

Alice: I was in the shed, alone.
Bob: I was in the shed, with Alice.

Bob did it!

Benjamin: I was in the workshop with Raul.
Bob: I was in the garden, alone.
Alice: I was in the workshop, alone.
Raul: I was in the workshop with Benjamin.

Alice did it!

I agree with CyberLemonade.
Only half of those that are attempting it manage to resolve it. This % is too low for a “easy puzzle” IMHO.

Personnaly, I had to totally change my approach to get 100% eventhough all the tests passed with my first approach. A validator (didn’t notice which one) was red, so that validator doesn’t have its tests counterpart, which is quite frustrating.

1 Like

Hi,
Also face to fail in Validator 1 and 3 with all IDE tests Ok.
Do you confirm that the name which is the same than the location is starting with a capital letter which should help to avoid confusion.

Is there any similitude in between Validator1 and 3 variations to the IDE tests ?

Thanks!

In the case where a person’s name is the same as the location, the person’s name starts with a capital letter while the location doesn’t.

The validators are kind of similar but the differences are more than just changing the order of the sentences or changing the names.

Have you tried the custom cases provided by _Luke above?

Hi
Yes both passed without issue.
Do you confirm that any name in the ‘with’ part of declarations are always written exactly the same than the Name: part?
If any ’ ’ introduced or any other kind of variation, the way I built my code would for sure fail.

People’s names are always written exactly the same way throughout the input in a case. There isn’t any variation including letter case. The names always consist of English letters only.