[Community Puzzle] Parse SQL Queries

Hi, for the “ORDER BY DESC” testcase, it seems like you can pass it without implementing ordering. I haven’t implemented it yet but still passed it. Maybe it should be edited?

1 Like

Good observation. As the author has deleted their account, I have taken the liberty of editing that testcase.

2 Likes

Dear fellas developers.
I just arrived on the so-called SQL exercise , where I thought the goal might be to make us write some SQL , in order to extract correctly the expected datas (columns and rows).
However, I absolutely don’t get what is expected from us. The presentation of the exercise is the most confusing I’ve ever seen. I suppose a good presentation should at least present :
1_ the tables from wich we apply our SQL-requests.
2_ The result we are supposed to find. (a new one at each question).
3_ eventually tell use where they want us to write the request , (a string in a console.log ? or a string attributed to a given variable name ? or else… )

I suppose I’m the dumb one , and that you all understood the exercise fast, clear and obvious. Would you guide me on what do they expect from us here ?
A thousand thanks.

6 Likes

Have you read the statement and study the example at the bottom? I think they have more or less described what you have asked for. Also, the default code tells you how to output your answer.

It is not a SQL puzzle … you don’t have to write the good SQL request to find something in the database, you have to write a programm that interpret and execute a given SQL request.

1 Like

This is the worst puzzle, so you have to answer each question with the exact words like the testcases, if I want to change my answer with a different scenario it is impossible and always is an error although the syntax is correct.
Can someone tell me if I am mistaken or what is going on ?

It is NOT a database allowing you to query whatsoever.
It has preset, fixed, inputs and outputs.
Because it is just a puzzle, not a DB. All puzzles behave in the same way.
Judging it to be bad based on the fact that it is not a DB and it does not accept alternative queries is unfair.

But for its unclear definition of requirements and statements, personally I do not think this is a great puzzle.

do you solve it?
I am stuck, I found the answer for every scenario but still cant solve the puzzle. is there any way ?

Which validators have you failed?

i am completly agree with, as my first puzzle in coding game and really understand the interface, this puzzle is completly shit… you never use it that way…