Platinum Rift multiplayer contest discussion

i honestly dont even know where to begin atm

Spawn randomly, Move randomly is a good start. Then start to find a programming structure to store the map.

1 Like

Wouldn’t there be a problem with scala on this game ?
Even the default program finished often in timeout

Defines “often”.

I played 20 games and got 0 timeouts with the default code.

2 Likes

Do you change something for scala ?
Now, timeout disapear, and I win 100 places without change anything.

+ 10 characters to be allowed to reply

1 Like

I like Scala and Kotlin a lot, but JVM languages are really slow to compile. If you want a language that combines dynamic object typing with functional techniques, try Dart.

I’m trying to just print some information, and what I am printing is being cut off with a “…”

Is there really a limit on how much debug information I can print?

see my answer in this topic: https://www.codingame.com/forum/t/debug-messages-size-limit/131770/2

Hello guyz,

I understand this is one of the oldest designs, but wow… it’s the first time I don’t like a multiplayer game. My issues, aside from the fact that it took me hours to get out of wood league (and I am still in bronze after a whole afternoon, unbelievable :roll_eyes:):

• You have to move the camera, zoom in and out on the game viewer to see hex tiles numbers. Since I did “Coders of the Caraibean” juste before I was frustrated to not see the hex tile number in the bottom area, or even as a tooltip like “Code Royale”. This feels really bad.
  • The movement rules are very unclear. I expected pods to stack up like “Ghost in the Cell” but it almost looks like they do not. Why ? Should not this be stated in the rules as to whether or not pods stack when moved from one tile to the next ?
  • Another confusing movement rule. What are the lines that surround hexes on the map ? Does this mean you can move from one tile to another one way but not the other ? It looks like it’s not a complete barrier, so my only guess is that it’s semi-permeable.

All those issues make the game not very enjoyable unlike more recent ones. I guess I’ll have to decipher how it works on a case by case basis until I figure it all out. Also, there is no information that I could see about those points in the forums or post-mortem blog posts.

EDIT: Looking at it closer, it might be the case that the white lines are platinum production values ? This game really needs a mouse over feature.

Pods do stack up as we know it from Ghost in the Cell.
The “barriers” indicate the amount of platinum on the cells. This can be 0 to 6.

1 Like

Thank you @eulerscheZahl. I just wanted to add something else. Since the game is so tiny, I watch the tournament unfold fullscreen, but then I don’t know who I am, since I don’t have the same color every game and the player names are not displayed. Toggling fullscreen back and forth is not convenient. Can we get a game viewer update some time ? Does CG has a policy about this, like letting the community do that kind of work, if they are too busy ? Probably a question for @TwoSteps.

I agree that the missing usernames were a big annoyance when analyzing replays. This also applies for “Game of Drones” which has no nicknames either.

what do you mean by “Toggling fullscreen back and forth is not convenient”

No viewer update planned.

For old “classic” (as in made by CG) games like that, we don’t share the code and don’t allow for community updates, unfortunately.

I just meant the game is a large world map with small hexes that require zooming in and out. To see things better, like tile numbers and pod numbers I put the viewer in fullscreen. But then if I am in the arena, I don’t know which one is my bot since the colors aren’t fixed and the player names are not displayed. Therefore I have to undo fullscreen, check my color, go back to fullscreen and analyze. Not convenient.

2 Likes

Hey some map are not mirrored which cause some teams to have an unfair advantage, see : https://www.codingame.com/share-replay/532961602

The maps are not, but the matchs are.

1 Like

Yes I understand it’s because maps are designed for 4 teams but yes match aren’t mirrored

But do you think that matchs could be mirrored? Isn’t it just some param to tweak in the game creator?

Your replay is on Platinum Rift 2, and when I check “last battles” I see that I face each opponent twice, on the same map, but with a switch of the positions. So the matchs are mirrored in arena, and there is no “unfair advantage”.

1 Like