Spring Challenge 2020 - Feedback & Strategy

Hi there, ended #11.

I used beamsearch as well, depth 7. I relied on two evaluation functions for pruning:

• the first one for pruning individual pacman moves (enemies nearby, pellets taken and future potential pellets). I kept the best 4 moves for each pacman.
  • the second one for pruning pacman moves combination (4^5 max), evaluating the pacman spread and avoiding collisions.

I also used some sort of beam search for enemy tracking. Each turn I expanded the possible enemy positions for each id. I pruned the possible enemy positions depending on the missing pellets and using the possible score gain of each position.

My bot was mainly focusing on farming, and was lacking some more aggressive techniques. I think this made me miss the top 10. I had a lot of fun anyway, many thanks to the CG team !

10 Likes

k4ng0u, 48th Legend (C++)

This challenge was very fun and I liked how it was easy to start but very hard to master due to the multiple map configurations. Even now I am not sure of what really improved my bot and what didn’t. It ended up with a lot of magic constants tweaking.

For me the key points were:

• Map symmetry
  • Tracking the pellets left
  • Farm efficiently
  • Avoid dying to opponents
  • Eliminate the opponents when possible and worth

Use map symmetry
Initially, compute opponent pacs thanks to the symmetry and as such deduce all the cells with pellets as well.

Tracking the pellets left

At each turn, depending on the visible pellets and your pac position, you can know which cells had their pellets emptied.

As such intersections are important to get more information. That’s why before using speed I checked the distance between my pac and all the intersections with a distance of less than 10, if more than half of them are even distances, then I speed, otherwise I move and speed the next turn. (=> this made me pass to Legend)

Another interesting concept that @Indrill introduced to me is the corridor: any chain of cells with at most 2 neighbours. I tried to implement some logic to say if a cell of a corridor is empty then it means that all cells of the corridor until a visible pellet or a pac starting position are likely empty. This is because when a pac enters a corridor, he usually goes all the way until the end. However I didn’t manage to integrate it well in my path scoring so it was discarded from my final bot.

Farm efficiently

I didn’t find a good way for that so I just did a depth 15 brute force on each pac to find the best path, then I would take the best and recompute the paths for the other pacs applying a penalty for visited cells, etc until all pacs have a path. In the end the scoring function was something like:

cellScore = pelletValue*0.9^distance*(hasAlreadyBeenVisitedByOtherPac ? 0.4 : 1)*uncertaintyMagicCoeff

A path would only be allowed to go back if there is no option left (dead end or all other possibilities are dangerous cells).

Avoid dying to opponents

Ideally you would want an efficient opponent tracking. I didn’t bother with that, so I just had simple heuristic on visible pacs (which from time to time resulted in my pac dying one or two turns later)

Pacs were to avoid dangerous cells (during first turn, don’t step into a distance inferior to 1 to a better pac, during second turn, don’t step into a distance inferior to 2)

If no good escaping path is found, if you have your cd up, transform into the type that beats your opponent. Else try to get some pellets before dying.

Kill the opponents when possible and worth - TODO

I didn’t have time to implement this one. But in some situation you are sure that you can eliminate the opponent pac. In those situation a good way to do so would be to check how many turns you need to eliminate him, how many pellets you could gather in the same time and how much a pac is worth (a good approximation could be remainingPellets/remainingPacs).

Contest final ranking

Not sure if it’s just an impression but I feel like the final score computation relies a bit too much on the last leaderboard state. On a last lucky push I reached top 40. Then with 43% victory rate (basically losing record against all players around me) at 60% of progression I barely lost 0.5 and was still around #45 I won’t complain about it but it’ likely frustrating for people who got down because of a lot of last day submission with bad match ups.

A word on C++

This was my first contest in C++ but in the end I coded almost like I would in java. I was willing to use primitive and native arrays but it quickly became a pain. My advice for C++ beginners like me is to use std libraries until you really need to improve performances :stuck_out_tongue: Also I tried to use some pragma I found on CG forum but it made my code slower for some reason…

Thanks a lot to Codingame for this contest!

12 Likes

For the crossroad thing I computed the distances of all crossroads at a distance of 10 of less from my pac I speeded up only when a majority of crossroads are at even distances (sometimes in some scenario crossroads can be separated with a odd distance making the odd,odd heuristic not totally relevant) Also if I am contesting a super pellet that is more or less at the same distance from my pac and opp pac, I would speed regardless to not lose time and be the first there.

2 Likes

Top-ish Gold (C++)

Contest was fun as usual, kudos to all the coders and the CG Team, always a pleasure to see people from all around the world compete against each other.

Keys points of my implementation:

• Each frame, give a score to each cell (pellet value, is it explored or not, decrease the value if the cell is part of a deadend)

• Each Pac then adds a relative score (decrease the value if opponent with opposite type on the path, value of the cell decreases with the distance from the Pac, to make close cells more attractive etc.)

• Get all paths from Pac with depth 6 then take the best one

• Partial opponent tracking, I track the visibility of opponent and set the value of pellet to 0 if only one path possible between the previous and current position

And then some specific code for collision handling, defensive switch type (no aggressive behaviour).

Feels like I wrote lot of code but most of it is boilerplate. That’s a bit the negative point for me, I’d like more time to actually implement my ideas and evaluate them, but I need to be better prepared maybe :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wow, that is probably the way to do it, thx

Mid-Silver here.

For the not so advanced coder like myself, seeing a game that was not fully dominated by simulations, giving a chance for the less-capable coder was a relief. Those “complete information” games simply give no chance for the "heuristic / if " basic coder, ones that can’t code deep searches properly. Thank you codingame for the fog of war. We were tired of games dominated by simulations that had frequently to be done out of codingame IDE. We should keep in mind that most competitors will never get to gold, and somehow games should target them mostly.

9 Likes

Incomplete information does not prevent simulations. It just force everyone to code something to handle fog of war, both heuristics and simulations.

Just look at all the top legend with beamsearch or dfs. Even if they don’t use a full simulation (with perfect collisions prediction), this is a simulation.

Fog of war does not prevent simulation to win. Massive branching can prevent simulations but not every time.

9 Likes

In most CG multi you can still enjoy the game without simulation and most of the time it’s easier without until gold (except maybe for Ultimate tic tac toe) or even legend. Then if you want to win the contest it’s likely that you need some kind of simulation and/or hard core programming which is expected as not anybody should be able to win. And this stands for any game with or without fog of war.

2 Likes

I ended 33th in legend. Thanks for another great contest.

I liked coding for the game at first, but got frustrated later on in the week when nothing I coded gave me a visible improvement. No feedback is a serious handicap when trying new ideas. The creators can’t be blamed for this though. This unpredictable behavior of the leaderboard is not easy to foresee and the game being fun and interesting to code a bot for is more important.

Normally I wouldn’t bother to write a large PM when I didn’t reach top 10 or at least top 20, but I think some parts of my bot are worth noting for future reference. I’ll go step by step to explain how the bot works and pay specific attention as to how the monte carlo search works:

The first turn

I do the following things:

1. Read the map and identify walls and setting all non-walls as having a possible pellet (except those at pac start-locations.

2. For each cell that is not a wall, I store all neighbors in an array.

3. I identify all dead ends of the map and put them in a list.

4. I set up the two pac teams as “Pac” objects.

5. On the first update I mirror all opponent pacs I don’t see.

6. I assign each pac a super-pellet as destination if it is closest to it (this part of my bot was weak and could have been much improved).

The update

1. I do the regular update from the input given. Also storing a copy of each pac from last turn, so I can compare changes.

2. For each possible pellet on the map I keep a pellet-history (for all 200 turns). For each visible pellet I see in the current turn, I set all pellets as being uncollected for all turns before that. So even if I did not see the pellet in earlier turns, I know it must have been there.

3. I list all visible cells and mark cells as visible if I can see them that turn. I mark all cells that have no pellets and remember that.

4. For all opponent pacs I keep a visibility history. I know for each cell if I saw that an opponent pac was not there that turn. So this is not about where the pac was, but where it wasn’t.

5. For dead ends I floodfill outward until I hit a pellet, so that my monte carlo search knows not to enter into this area without pellets. This helps reduce branching.

Elimination of invisible pellets by opponent pac routes

In a game it happens very often that you will see a pac in a certain turn, then it disappears and you see it again 10 turns later. You then have two locations and there must be a path between them. If the new location is far from the old location, there are often many cells, that the pac must have travelled through to get there. All those cells will no longer have pellets. It is useful to mark these as collected, so your search won’t try to go there. I do this as follows:

1. I start at the last seen location and make a “future” speed-analysis, moving the maximum number of cells. You have a lot of information about the speed history of each pac, even if you dont see it for a long time, because you have the speedturnsLeft and cooldown.

2. I flood outwards using the speed it has in each turn from when it was last seen. Any pellets it crosses are checked for whether they existed that turn (using the pellet history). If the pellet existed, then the pac cannot have passed it. This is why it is important to do this procedure only when you see the pac again, so you can use the full pellet-history information you have at that point. I also check whether the locations the pac passed were observed by other pacs. If they were observed and the pac was not there, then the pac can’t have passed through there either.

3. I will end up with a flooded area which I use as a limited set of cells to create a BFS-searched path from the last seen location to the new location.

4. If there are any cells that the pac must have passed through to get to the new location, they must be part of this shortest path, but this shortest path might contain non-mandatory cells as well and thus not be the only route. So I take the shortest path and for each cell on the path, I remove the cell from the flooded area and then I check if a BFS route is still possible within the distance travelled by the pac. Any cell which causes a BFS route to become impossible when it is removed, must have been passed by the pac and the pellet is marked as collected.

This feature worked quite well and I was often able to eliminate 5-10 pellet locations at once upon viewing an opponent pac. However, this is one of the features for when I added it, changed nothing on the leaderboard… which was unfortunate. You can imagine the amount of code that goes into this feature.

Blocking the entrance to dead ends

One of the latest additions to my bot was the blocking of dead ends when an opponent pac is near that can kill my pac. I didn’t get around to testing this well enough, so I don’t know it works. Basically I just did another speed analysis and a lot of BFS-distance testing to see if it was safe to be in cells inside a dead ended-area.

Tracking the opponent current possible positions

Assuming the opponent travels at maximum speed (speed chaining). I calculate for each opponent pac all possible positions it could have travelled too also taking into account cells viewed and pellet history just like when I am eliminating pellets as explained earlier. If there are not too many positions like this, I can use this information to avoid being killed around corners. I think it sometimes worked, but I am not sure. It wasn’t well tested.

Opponent pellet prediction

For my monte carlo search I mostly viewed opponents as being walls when they are dangerous and ignored them otherwise, but I did do a floodfill which recorded for each future turn for each cell whether the opponent could have reached there. If, during the monte carlo, my pac would collect a pellet too late from this cell, it would receive less points.

The Monte Carlo search

This is easily the best feature of my bot. When I finished it, 4 days into the contest, my bot jumped to rank 2 immediately. I can’t honestly say if my bot ever really improved after that. If it did, it happened so gradually I didn’t notice. It works as follows:

My monte carlo simulates 8 turns deep (there is no limit really, it could have gone 12 deep also). I could test over a million plans (combinations of routes over 8 turns) in turn 1 and 100k in other turns, which was overkill.

When i say 8, I mean to say both normal and speed move, so it could be 13 cells travelled. Basically, I choose random moves for each pac keeping some restrictions namely:

1. Pacs can’t move backwards in a corridor during the sim (except in first turn of sim). This is a slight reduction of freedom, because sometimes it might be worth grabbing a quick pellet and turning around. The exception is, of course, a dead end. I store the previous location each time a pac moves, to prevent it from turning around.

2. For each pac I have a series of blocked cells, because an opponent pac can travel there in the current turn, killing my pac. Opponent pacs are walls in the sim if they are dangerous this way. So not all pacs will have the same walls, because of different types.

3. Pacs wont go into dead-ended areas with no pellets.

4. Pacs wont cause friendly collisions. When two pacs want to go to the same place, one will wait (randomly). I do this in the “Resolve collision” functions below

The simulated turn is built up like this:

• Apply speed ability if necessary
  • Generate random moves.
  • Resolve collisions.
  • Generate random speed moves (if a pac can speed).
  • Resolve speed collisions.
  • Apply all moves and calculate score per pac and total score.
  • Reduce cooldown timers

Repeat this 8 times
After 8 times, check if the current plan gives more score than the previous best plan. Replace if so.
After calculation time is up (which is often after between 50k and 150k plans) apply the best plan to all pac moves.

Lost pac assignment

I keep a score per pac in the monte carlo. If the chosen plan gave 0 score for a specific pac, I default to a BFS route to the nearest uncollected pellet. This way I don’t get pacs just randomly moving around.

Hardcoded destinations and hardcoded moves

My monte carlo also had a system for hardcoded destinations, where instead of generating moves randomly it would just let pacs move closer to the destination, collecting pellets on the way. This way the hardcoded superpellet collection for some pacs does not conflict with the monte carlo plan for other pacs. I also had a system for “first sim turn” moves to avoid nearby opponent pacs, do switches and such, but I never ended up using it.

To do list

My to do included “kill code” (to kill pacs that you are in range of killing), improved superpellet assignment and many tests i didn’t get around to doing. My code was a 2.5k line mess at this point and I just couldn’t summon up the motivation to add these last things. Almost all of the above stuff I explained gave no visible improvement (except the MC search) and this is why I lost motivation.

During this contest I learned the power of a monte carlo search. I never took it seriously before because it seemed worse than mcts or minimax or even beamsearch, but I will look at it differently from now.

See you next contest!

27 Likes

This game was heavily favoring simulation.

Ya i think most games favor simulation. I don’t know how you can not favor it at all. I mean predicting many turns ahead the outcome of a move is very much required.

Can you give a single example where simulation isn’t better?

If you omit very old contests (when the global skill of the community was not even remotely comparable to what is now), simulation always win. (well, i think that there’s some exception. Code A La Mode for example).

But the simulation is not always used with a search algorithm. For example, Recar won the Platinum Rift 1 contest by using a simulation to simulate the 50 nexts turns with it’s own AI for all players. If you look at Ghost in the cell contest, Agade won using a simulation too but not with a search algorithm (most of his code was heuristic, the simulation is only used for a specific point).

It seems that if you want the top, you always need a simulation. Sometimes a partial simulation (without collisions for example). Sometimes a false simulation to speed up performances. And sometimes a full simulation bound to a search algorithm.

6 Likes

47 Legend. Python3.

This was my first ever competition of this type, having stumbled upon CodinGame about 3 weeks ago (since then I have obsessively built bots for some of the older competitions.) When I first started this competition I did well with a quick and lazy approach on the opening day, but over time as people started building better bots, my rank started slipping and I essentially lost motivation. I had some ideas of what I could do but not the confidence or willpower to try and get it to work and keep trying until it worked, and I couldn’t see exactly how to implement it, there were some gaps missing in my mental image of what I wanted to do. That all changed when my friend, Jarcan, joined the competition. He had some good ideas and I could see what I could do if i used some of his ideas, but it felt like my bot would simply be a cheap imitation of his bot. On wednesday night when I had pretty much given up the contest and was rank ~600, Jarcan encouraged me that my implementation would be sufficiently different, there was still time in the contest and there was still lots of room for improvement. Thursday morning idk what came over me but I built the bot. By 2am Saturday I was rank 30. It was a furious 2 days of bashing out code and theory crafting and trying things and failing and then sometimes improving. I couldn’t have done it without Jarcan - he connected dots for me I would not have otherwise seen and enabled me to have the additional insights I had that got me here. The strategy went like this:

1. Find the shortest paths between all points on the map and store them - this was what I had had a lot of trouble with on my own, finding a way to do this without timing out. Jarcan came up with a pruned floodfill approach using hashmaps which did the job nicely. This was the first big step.

2. Every turn, for each of your pacs, look through all available paths for that pac and score them with a heuristic function - this infact was not all possible paths but a pruned list of squares deemed worth re-visiting. This scoring function had several layers to it. The heuristic function had a lot of insight baked into it - but here is a brief summary:
    a) don’t walk into enemy pacs that can kill you or go on same paths as allied pacs
    b) eat pellets with 4 priority layers: super pellets, pellets you can see this turn, pellets you have recently seen, squares you have not yet visited and which might contain pellets. The weightings of these categories were scaled with how far into the path youre considering you are as well as having weights updated by game state dependent information each turn.

3. taking guaranteed kills - when you could see an enemy pac that was trapped and it had no cooldown to switch and you could definitely kill it, do so. this was done using our handy dandy path dictionary again.

4. switch in the shadows - the absence of information available to the enemy is a great weapon, they cannot help but bump into you or meet you at junctions from time to time, and they have no way of knowing what type your pacs are if you switch when they cannot see you. Further it would be very difficult to counter such a strategy, as you’d then get it wrong if you’re against someone who doesn’t switch in the shadows. In short - track enemy pac types and last seens, when they’re all the same type/2 types, there is an objectively strongest type your pacs should be - so switch to it. There was also some very basic switching logic for particular situations when it was likely a good idea to switch.

But there you have it - a heuristic bot which looks at paths available to each pac and picks the best one based on a scoring system, along with an override of some switching and going for kills here and there. 500 lines of code, but a lot of that is comments or now obsolete code, so this could probably be trimmed down to under 400 lines.

Thanks to CG for this fun challenge - and thanks for bringing me and my old friend together again - it felt like we were 18 again bouncing ideas off each other and discussing theories together.

14 Likes

Observed winrate between pairs of players during the rerun:

Expected winrate between pairs of players after fitting a score to each player (alternative ranking independent from CG):

Difference between the two figures above

(a strongly coloured dot indicates an observed result which was not expected according to the ranking model)

7 Likes

hey @pb4 thanks for your images. I feel my rank (100+) is not justified considering I had 55-60% win rate against rank 40-50 bots. Just because I had lesser lead in the lower bracket does not mean I shouldn’t be paired with higher ranked bots. My bot was fine tuned to beat better bots and not weaker bots. The initial calibration definitely favoured the rank 40-50 bots. If only they dare to fight my bot with some small probability we would know they are weaker than mine. It also gives the me a chance to climb back in case the calibration went bad.

1 Like

Interesting that there is the same “clear cut” areas as for OOC, thx for the stats.

Finished 3rd !

Intro

Congratulations to everybody, espacially Saelyos, Romka and the CG team for hosting these events.
I don’t know if it’s the prize pool or the marketing or both, but seeing almost 5k contenders is amazing !
Keep it up CodinGame, your work is wonderfull.
I’m obviously very pleased of the outcome, this is my second contest podium after Code a la mode but this one was not pure heuristic so I feel the competition level was higher. This is my first PM, I usually don’t feel like sharing.

Journey

Got to bronze as fast as I could with python to get a feel of the game with the full rules.
I worked on the simulation the first weekend, I realized collision handling didn’t need to be perfect. Then I wondered what kind of algorithm could be good.
Tried with pure random search depth 10 with the simpliest eval and felt like the result was ok.
Didn’t feel like aggresive bot could be effective until last weekend when I saw some amazing tricks done by other bots.
I almost instantly felt like FOW mitigation would become necessary but this was intimidating so I started to work on that only last saturday.
My bot almost focus exclusively on farming.
Each feature was tested with CGBenchmark <3

Final bot

The main search algorithm is inspired by Magus Fantastic bit genetic algorithm.
The point was that I felt this could make Pacs cooperate as Wizards did without needing to tell them so.
A Particularity is that I randomize only on valid output for each pack, so I simulate each turn before randomizing the next.
Merge and mutate were done on a single whole Pac path.
I did manage 10 to 30k full 12 depths simulation per 50 ms.
For ennemy I run same algo for 10 ms before with my pacs standing by. I only simulate ennemy pacs if I’m sure of their position (line of sight or if the FOW mitigation tells me so).

The eval is the simpliest possible (myScore-OppScore) with huge bonus/malus in case the victory threshold is passed. I sum up eval each turn for the whole solution score so pacs focus on closest pellets.
At the end of simulation I minimize for each pac the distance to the closest pellet because I saw my pacs wondering endlessly at the end of games when no more pellets were close by (none in 12 depths).

The FOW mitigation system :
Each turn I compute all paths possible starting with symetry. I then remove some based succesively on :

• Line of sight (pacs, pellets present, pellets missing…)
  • Score, is this path possible according to opponent score difference between this turn and the previous one ?
  • I use observed collisions and deaths to trim paths
  • reduce paths length themselve if all shares common prefix marking those cells as having no more pellets.
  • only keep last cell if all paths score = 0
  • deduplicate
  • if numbers starts to grow to high, remove paths with less size (meaning opp pacs would stand still or move only 1 cell instead of 2 on speed), remove paths with less score, meaning opp pac would be dumb…
    This way I could generally go through mid game.
    Then when there are fewer pellets remaining paths number explodes, so I clear it and goes blind for this particular opp pac until I see it again.
    I would use paths to :
  • pin point an opp pac if possible to use in sim and avoid certain death.
  • reduce cells value (pellets score) by % of occurrences in paths to use in sim (ex: if 8 paths out of 10 has cell (x, y), going on it only yield 0.2 score).
  • try to avoid ennemy embush

I have a turn 0 brute force to exclude all actions which could lead in immediate death, this works defensively.

I also added in the last night a quick trapping system which might detect a trapped opponent situation taking advantage of the FOW mitigation, it doesn’t occures very often.

Misc

I’m very impressed by the bots which pacs cooperate to trap !
Mine is only a farming machine, I realized only at the end that killing was an option and the fact that two different approaches could both yield very good results makes me think that this contest is a success. Surely future multi top bots will be a combination of the two.

Was hopping to win the contest when I saw a 10% overall win rate improvement after implementing a new feature when I was already top 3 on the leaderboard yesterday evening !

Looking forward for the next contest, hopefully with even more contenders and nice prize pool so other top coders join us !

28 Likes

Hello! I found this website and the spring challenge on Thursday, and spent the weekend trying to break out of bronze league. I was able to crack silver within an hour of the final countdown.

It was so fun to write a basic AI and then tweak it by watching it play! I seriously spent probably 8 hours every day for the last three days just watching pacs and making code adjustments. It was very satisfying to finally get the bump up to silver! Can’t wait to join the next tournament from the beginning and have more time to mess with my code.

One thing I’d like to do differently in the future is to actually use the fancy BFS, etc. that people talk about here - all of my “AI code” was just spaghetti and if/else statements. I’m looking forward to learning a more advanced way to write this code.

9 Likes

I finished 112th in Legend and used Go.

I had tons of fun! I’ve never done a programming contest or any AI programming before. I have read the “Red Blob Games” blog before so I had some ideas. Excuse me if I use wrong terminology.

At first I thought I wouldn’t enjoy it much, but it was easy to get into and I was hooked.

My final approach was something like this:

First turn

Walk the map building a graph of nodes, and marking dead ends and corridors to dead ends. This made some heuristics easier to code later.

Game Turn

1. Load in pacs and calculate visibility. If a pacman was missing, I try to find a likely path for them to have taken, otherwise store their hidden location for later. Also process visible pacs by finding their last location and assume all pellets between them have been eaten.
  2. Load in the pellets and remove missing pellets in line-of-sight. If a pellet is missing down a dead end area, I mark them as likely being gone which is used in heuristics.
  3. Analyze whether enemies should be attacked or change type in defense.
  4. Execute pathfinding: A* on all of the big pellets and on the 30 closest pellets
  5. Sort the paths by most valuable per spaces traveled.
  6. The pac with the most valuable route will get first pick, and then mark all the steps in the route as assigned (used in heuristics).
  7. Reprocess the next most valuable routes based on this new data and repeat until all pacs are assigned a route.
  8. Output

A* heuristics

Pellets and empty paths cost very little to traverse and pathing through a unit costs a ton. I didn’t want paths to be completely blocked by other units otherwise they would have found no path when trapped by units.

Paths also accumulated value based on:

1. Pellets (duh)
  2. Neighbor pellets
  3. Far from other friendly units

Paths lost value when:

1. Close to enemies (especially if they can eat the pac)
  2. The path is in a dead end
  3. The path includes another unit’s path this turn

Each turn typically took < 2ms.

Tools and Methods

A few days into the game I got tired of waiting for results so I built a small wrapper around the referee to run the game 1,000 games concurrently. I used my previous bot as the “champion” and in-development bot as the “challenger.” Once I had made progress I would submit to rank up and then promote the challenger to the new champion.

I also got frustrated with regressions so I started writing tests for situations my code was trying to address. I would take a small map as input and assert the moves taken were correct. Here’s an example input of collision avoidance:

#############
#...#.:.#...#
#..####.#...#
#.....C.C...#
#.....#.#...#
#.....#:....#
#############

(C is a pac and : is a pellet)

The tests were a huge benefit as I could refactor code and try new things out knowing the bot still behaves in the way I expect.

GGs

Thanks for this competition and great competitors! I look forward to learning new algorithms. Keep the write ups coming!

17 Likes

That contest was awesome!!

My goal was to reach Legends while streaming everything (on twitch.tv/thibpat), but I ended up in gold, 220th in the general ranking.
My main problem was not tracking the opponent position, so in the end I’m happy to be that high in the ranking without this feature :sweat_smile:

AI
My bot precomputes the visible cells and all shortest possible paths between each walkable cells on the first turn.
Every turn I try to find the best path out of all possible paths, while having a score for each pellet (a close pellet is better than a far one).
I started to store the opponent positions when I see them, and tried to clear the path between their two last position if there was only one possible path between these two last positions.

You can view everything (approx 17h) from the first lines of code to the last debugging issues on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/collections/dBeOIFg8EBZENg

Overall I enjoyed the contest, and I loved this fresh visual aspect :sparkles:

9 Likes

Hello, I finished rank 10.

I focused on the farming strategy for my bot and it was heuristic-based. I was very impressed by the bots that implemented trapping and good combat mechanics, this was an area my bot was weak in.

I’ll share what I did for the farming since I think this was the strength of my bot. The algorithm is as follows:

For each of my pacman:

1. Perform a BFS starting at the position of the pacman in the map. Use the BFS to calculate the distance of each point from the pacman; (i.e. 2-d array bfsGrid where bfsGrid[x][y] is the distance of position (x, y) from the pacman.

2. Perform a DFS from the pacman now with the following policy - for a given node you open at (x, y), you will only examine its neighbors (nx, ny) where bfsGrid[nx][ny] > bfsGrid[x][y].

I think this is basically the same as if you run Djikstra’s on the pacman and you have this graph where the path from the root to every node in the graph represents the shortest path from the pacman to that node. You are going to now run DFS on this graph starting with pacman at the root.

So with that intuition in mind, here is the scoring fn that does this DFS. Point (x, y) represents
    a position on the board. The boolean thruPac refers to whether you visited a pacman during this DFS.

scoreFn(Point (x, y), boolean thruPac):

# Get the tile score, if we visited a pacman, this is 0 b/c the pacman we pass through will get it.
    tileValue = 10 if (x,y) is a bigPellet | 1 if (x, y) is pellet | 0 if floor
    if thruPac:
        tileValue = 0

# Base score is just tile value divided by distance to tile
    baseScore = tileValue / (distance from pacman to (x,y))

# Get all the neighbors (up, down, left, right) neighbors of (x, y) that follow the bfsGrid requirement
    # described above.
    Point[] neighbors = {neighbor (x', y') of (x, y) where bfsGrid[x',y'] > bfsGrid[x,y]}        

# for the next recursive calls, thruPac' is only true if the current position has a pacman or we
    # passed through one already AND if there is only 0 or 1 neighbors to visit.
    # If neighbors.size > 1, that means we can now take a diverging path to not go through a pacman.
    thruPac' = ((x, y) is a pacman OR thruPac) AND neighbors.size <= 1

scores = []
    for n in neighbors:
       scores.add(scoreFn(n, thruPac'))

# Note here we check thruPac and not thruPac'
    if !thruPac:
      return baseScore + max(scores)
    else:
      # If we pass through a pacman, they're gonna walk down the best path,
      # so we give ourselves the second highest path score (second highest value in scores[]).
      return baseScore + secondHighestNumberIn(scores)

This is the intuition of the scoring algorithm. Now I run score(x, y, thruPac=false) on every pacman for each of their neighbors {up, down, left, right} directions and move my pacman in the direction of the highest score.

This works pretty well; the pacmans naturally kind of spread out and avoid each other due to the thruPac management. The scoring method needed to be tuned though; I did some things like:

• If the current pacman is not the closest pacman to the position, multiply the tile score by 0.5
  • If distance > 10, multiply score by 0.5; etc.

Beyond this, the features I implemented:

• Enemy tracking - The enemy tracking I did was to run the algorithm above on my enemies to guess where they would move if they were in fog. I would update the pellets as well based on these projected movements. If I see something to invalidate my opponent model for an enemy pacman I would remove that pacman from the list of tracked enemies and wait to see it again (i.e. seeing a pacman in a different location or seeing a pellet that the pacman should have collected still be present are invalidators).

• Combat - I implemented a 1-ply search of all actions my opponent could do and check if my move would cause my pacman to die. If so, the move would be assigned a large negative score.

15 Likes