Winter Challenge 2023 discussion

Actually there was a french version, but you had to change by yourself. I saw the button 1h after the beginning :smile:

The results are available on the challenge page since yesterday evening.

1 Like

According to the detailed report, your code for Puzzle #3 was taken into account just fine.

Good job on the 100%!

2 Likes

By the way, I still don’t see the event taken into account into my achievements or global contest ranking. Do we know if it will eventually count for either of those?

1 Like

Merci Skywalker, je n’avais pas trouvé le lien !
Que la force soit avec toi :fist:

Merci Linkyu pour les résultats, j’ai galéré sur cet exercice, mais je suis content qu’il ait été validé !

1 Like

It was my first challenge, and I did have fun trying to solve the puzzles but also spent quite some time in frustration trying to find out what I was doing wrong when validating my code

1 Like

on Discord I have seen this question answered with “NO” (((

Link:

My reaction:

but why?!?

I understand that this particular contest was a way to showcase the functionality for recruiter and test the system at the same time, which is ok, even while the usage of this system degraded the experience many participants considerably.

But NOT rating it the same way as any previous challenges WITHOUT prior notice - is not ok in my view.

I would like to get an explanation for this decision.

2 Likes

For me it was very clear before the contest, and when I connected at 8PM, I saw a message like “Make sure you have 120 mins of free time before you start the contest, Once you start, you cannot pause”. So I assumed I could start at anytime between 8pm and 10pm and still have 2h, and I went back 50 mins later to start…

1 Like

Ah well. I can easily guess why they won’t count it, but yeah a notice would have been nice.

1 Like

ok, what is your guess?:wink:

Well for starters, it’s a completely different way of ranking, so finding a way to integrate that in the global ranking is already a hassle by design. I can’t blame them for not wanting to mess with that.

Also, since this was such a tight schedule, the ranking would have been biased towards the timezones that are closer to CET. Not really ideal for a ranking that’s supposed to be global.

And finally, even if that wasn’t the case, the rampant performance issues prevented a lot of people from actually completing some of the puzzles. I did pretty good, all things considered, but I’m sure it’s partly because I was lucky enough to be able to test early. So, I can assume it would be disingenuous to include that luck in the global ranking.

I do wish it would count for the participation achievement though.

I hope that’s not it. There used to be puzzle-based challenges in the past, with a similar completion-based scoring and a short timeframe, those challenges did count in the leaderboard. But they all but disappeared after a few years. I hope that this last challenge means that CG has not completely closed the door on this concept.

My first thought was that the bugs were not making anything unfair, because they affected everybody. But if, as you say, some people were lucky enough to be able to squeeze a few tests in before the servers collapsed, indeed there would be a luck factor making things unfair.

But I do recall multiplayer contests affected by similar bugs, with battles timing out and ELO ratings taking hours to stabilize, that didn’t stop them from granting CP.

Well, they managed to rank a similar contest “Detective Pikatcha” :wink:

And they do have a leaderboard, so no real reason not to use it. I agree there was a bit of luck involved with the performances of the platform, which actually made me rather happy with my ranking, given that I hadn’t run any test on the “visual” problems.

All in all, nice problems (although #4 is not “pure”), bad developer experience, and very very bad joke to learn here that it won’t be ranked, without any anouncement neither before nor after (since when is Discord a communication channel preferred to this forum ??)

Bonjour à tous,

est ce normal qu’en cliquant sur le classement détaillé de ce challenge on accède à tout le détail du challenge en écriture (paramètres du test), à tout le détail de chaque personne compris son code ?

ça me parait étrange n’y a t’il pas un problème de droit quelque part ?

Cordialement,

:woman_shrugging: Yeah I didn’t get any answer on that when I mentioned it earlier. It’s nice to see how it works behind the scenes but I agree, I don’t think we’re supposed to be able to modify anything.

1 Like

Hi Indawl; this thread is for the winter challenge. I would suggest you to make a new thread for the current Spring challenge so people can actually see it.

1 Like