Clash Wars, mini Clash of Code tournament

I will not participate but Java is not the issue. For me the main issue of CoC is still the same, a player on an unknown CoC has no chance against a player knowing this CoC. And i assume the Clash Wars will not check this case.

Wise pick of java as the first trial language.:hugs:

Many java coders have been complaining for a long time for the unfair result in CoC because of the long-winding declare-everything language structure, when compared to most other scripting languages.

now java vs java, no complaints any more.

1 Like

Me: I got an email from Thibaud!
Me (thinking): Oooh it might be about the next spring contest, or even better, maybe it’s a Christmas gift and Unleash-the-geek will be available in multis!
Me (reading the email subject): CWs mini CoC tournament :man_facepalming:

But, yeah I hope this format will be successful and quoting Thibaud:

an opportunity for the community to meet at a certain moment and have fun with a certain language.

2 Likes

If people say Java is not a golfing language because it is more verbose as others, that it irrelevant when you compete against other Java solutions. As always in golf, there are still tricks both in algorithms and in syntax that can help you save the few characters that will help beat the competition. You could perfectly well golf in COBOL as well (when is COBOL coming to CG, by the way? :wink: )

3 Likes

Any language is/can be a golfing language. Especially when everyone is stuck to the same one.

That doesn’t take anything from the fact some languages are a lot less fun to golf in. Or from the fact there is no opt-out from golfing clashes, despite numerous requests. (ironically not from me, since I usually consider clashing a polyglot activity, but hey I’ll take arguments where they are)

Clash Wars - Java is today in 4 hours from now!

Discord channel for discussion/questions during the event: https://discord.gg/wCvs4BW

Congrats to the winners of the first Clash Wars event. I hope everyone enjoyed this short tournament. I played myself and even learned something :smiley:

https://www.codingame.com/leaderboards/clash/316/global

Next event next week, on Tuesday 17th of December at 10 pm CET this time (instead of 8pm)

Register to Clash Wars Python

2 Likes

Let me know when JS is up. Python is currently going on I think as the upcoming event.

It’s a new year, it’s a new Clash Wars episode! This Thursday at 10pm CET in C++

Register to Clash Wars C++

And congrats again to the winners of the Python edition of Clash Wars:

https://www.codingame.com/leaderboards/clash/321/global

Just in case a friend of mine wants to participate, what is the codingame position on system("code in bash"); for shortest mode ?

Is it allowed ?

And what about the “ultimate dirty trick i use for my C++ golf codes” ? (codingame can just look at my C++ chuck norris golf code)

(of course this question is also important for any other languages where the system function exists)

2 Likes

Please, try to schedule the tournment during the weekend so who works could partecipate too!!!

Thank you so much for keeping this awesome site alive.

2 Likes

@Magus you know we have no way to prevent players from using system calls. So if you want to code in Bash during C++ Clash Wars, go for it, even if I don’t get the point. Same for your dirty tricks.

@moz yes, I’ll try a Sunday evening.

Win is most of the time the point for most people :smiley:

Thank you in advance!!!

2 posts were split to a new topic: The system function

@Magus please create another thread if you want to discuss the system issue. FYI, none of the 3 winners used this or any dirty trick yesterday.

Congratulations to them! @Radewoosh @OEtzi007 @sulan

Next Clash Wars event on Sunday 19 at 12pm CET in JavaScript

Register to Clash Wars - JavaScript

(https://www.codingame.com/leaderboards/clash/325/global)

Congratulations to this week’s winners! @DPAmar @TheCrucial @Unihedron

Rendez-vous this Sunday 26, same time (12 pm CET) for another Clash Wars event in C# this time.

Register to Clash Wars - C#

Congrats to the winners of the previous Clash Wars event in C# @XorZy @udalov @martin13

Clash Wars takes a pause, for now, the time for us to look into some metrics, bugs and possible improvements. I’ll keep you updated when it comes back.

1 Like

Clash wars bugs ? Or Clash of Code bugs ?

they’re often related