[Community Puzzle] Decode the message

https://www.codingame.com/training/easy/decode-the-message

Send your feedback or ask for help here!

Created by @BiMathAx,validated by @anon91538998,@Nazdhun and @NitMpez.
If you have any issues, feel free to ping them.

My two cents: Thatā€™s a pretty big leap between Tests 4 and 5 with not a lot of description to help the solver.

Iā€™m stuck too at the test 5 and 6 but I pass test 7ā€¦ Any idea why?

I found the problem in my 2-loop, I must work just on words of the last length i.e the set of 1char or 2 chars or 3 chars, etcā€¦

A fun little puzzle.

I found the English instructions a bit difficult to understand; particularly the description of the encoding scheme. Maybe the French ones are clearer?

I would have enjoyed some longer messages in the test cases.

While the types of the problem inputs are present in the auto-generated code, it would be nice to have them explicitly stated in the instructions as well.

Do ā€˜helloā€™ and Ā«bonjourĀ» really encode exactly to the same value ā€˜7073801ā€™ with the 26-letter alphabet, just as the bilingual statement suggests? Seems an unlikely coincidence to me, especially as encoding is supposed to be uniqueā€¦

2 Likes

No it doesnā€™t :wink: Iā€™ve modified the value in the description.
Iā€™ve also modified all the tests for consistency, all characters are now unique in their alphabets, and the last ones are less forgiving.

@MACKEYTH I agree it could be clearer, but figuring out how the value is computed is also part of the puzzle. If you have a better description in mind feel free sharing it.

1 Like

FYI the English instructions appear to be a Google Translate of the French:

You are an FBI agent and you intercepted a message from terrorists.
This message must be decrypted, and for this you have access to 2 pieces of information: P and C.

ā€œCā€ is the alphabet used to write the message and contains all the letters / characters needed to decode it.

P corresponds to the coded value of the message.
Fortunately, you know how this value is calculated, and now you need to reverse the following process:

• Assuming that the alphabet is ā€˜abcdā€™, each letter is associated with its index: a = 0, b = 1, c = 2, d = 3.
  • Then a new letter is added for the following values: aa = 4, ba = 5, ca = 6, da = 7, ab = 8, bb = 9, cb = 10, etc.
  • The whole message thus obtains a unique value. For example, with a full alphabet (26 letters), ā€œhelloā€ would be 7073801.

Make it agent!

Actually itā€™s the opposite, the french text was made from the english one.
But Iā€™m wondering if the french part should not be removed. Itā€™s not my puzzle so Iā€™d feel bad reworking everything :grimacing:

Unless Iā€™m wrong, the general idea is everything in English, thus it should have been removed before approval (doubly so if one is just a straight translation of the other). Thatā€™s my vote.

How about something like:
[spoil]ā€œP is a summation of n terms (with n being the length of the message and the alphabet index starting at 0) as follows:
(alphabet index of letter 1) + ( ( (letter 2 index) + 1 ) * alphabet size^1 + ā€¦ + ( ( (letter n index) + 1 ) * alphabet size^(n - 1) )ā€[/spoil]

Heh, that may be a bit TOO descriptive. :smile:

The description should not give a general formula, otherwise thereā€™s no puzzle left :slight_smile:
Iā€™ve updated the description, can you tell me if itā€™s clearer now ?

Itā€™s nearly the same puzzle:

2 Likes

Is the only difference that the String would be in reverse order?

Then the argument is (and I know Iā€™ve beat this horse dead), why is one of these hard and the other easy?

Because itā€™s an old puzzle from 4 years ago, difficulty was kind of a mess back then. And it cannot be edited anymore (unless you ask a CG member I guess).

Was it really a mess back then? Or is it more so now? I know this is slightly off topic here and I bring this up a lot but what is an ā€œeasyā€ puzzle? What is a ā€œhardā€ one? If there are no rules codifying how that is decided, then we keep ending up back here to the same spot.

2 Likes

Typically many hard/very hard puzzles from back then would be downgraded in difficulty now, sometimes by a lot like in this case. Since the difficulty ranking has never been formalized itā€™s still a bit messy, but imo itā€™s in a better place currently.

1 Like

All test cases are passing my JS code, however validator 6 isnā€™t.
Can we get a bit more description about validator 6?
I canā€™t get my head around it.
Thanks

1 Like

For anyone trying to do this problem, I suggest first write an encode function to encode a string into a number. Then you write your decode function to reverse the number back into the string.

Doing this way is like having a unit test that you can try plenty of self-made test cases, encode and then decode and then match the result with your own original string. Very soon you will discover where the bug is.

3 Likes