[Community Puzzle] Digital Scoreboard

Coding Games and Programming Challenges to Code Better

Send your feedback or ask for help here!

Created by @Lisa-Has-Ideas,validated by @Timinator,@odaxav and @FredericLocquet.
If you have any issues, feel free to ping them.

I think there is a problem with the “9”
What it should be :

--
|  |
 --
   |
 --

and what it is :

--
|  |
 --
   |

Does anyone tryed to solve it before validate ?

The 7-segment representation of “9” inside the test cases and validators are different from the one shown in the banner.

Just when you think you’ve seen it all, the bug ends up being in the banner. :man_shrugging: I’m adding the banner to my growing list of things to check that I never thought to check when validating a puzzle!

The statement asks coders “To see example of a digital scoreboard and how each of the 10 digits is displayed, see banner image:”

Either a misleading statement or a misleading reference material.

Both representations are valid so I just went by the testcase, but as it says that it probably should match the banner.

A bigger problem is that part of the banner isn’t visible for me without messing with window sizes - maybe using the banner as part of the statement isn’t a great idea.

I’m adding the banner to my growing list of things to check that I never thought to check when validating a puzzle!

Absolutely agree it is not as easy as it seems to create or validate a puzzle to arrive at a bug-less result. :beetle: :beetle: :beetle: Thanks your effort.

I don’t think the banner is really important, but the statement should indicates the difference.

I apologize Remi. Unfortunately, it was pretty easy to solve this puzzle without ever looking at the banner.

I’ve spent a lot of time looking at contributions the past handful of months. I haven’t done anything even closely related to software engineering in over 20 years and I thoroughly enjoy communicating with the super smart people that create our puzzles.

The puzzle process depends on volunteers, so there’s always going to be challenges. Despite mistakes being made, the process impresses me more and more every day.

1 Like

The author has fixed the test.

It was funny to solve, thank you!
I had the same problem as the others regarding the 9. I expected a bar at the bottom since there is one a the top for the 6.

EDIT: while I was writing this message, the puzzle was updated :stuck_out_tongue: Now there is a bar at the bottom of the 9.

Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry everyone.

I didnt check the details enough.
I have now fixed Test 4 so that it matches the 9 in the image

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. I added an alternative image link

1 Like

I know that the validation process is difficult, I sometimes moderate contributions, but you are not alone and when I see comments as light as “great puzzle” or “fun puzzle”, I think that some people may have validated it without really testing it. With 3 real moderators, at least one person should have seen this annoying detail.

But I don’t blame you or the author of the puzzle, everyone can make mistakes and the responsibility is shared between the 3 moderators.

Am I wrong or are they no tests for digits 1 and 4 (while there are validators). I was just brainlessly copying the output to parse the numbers and turns out I can’t without those two :confused:.

You are correct.

I have just one last thing to share in case it benefits anybody else. As I reflect on the approval of this puzzle, it is clear that I spent significantly more time fine tuning my own solution than I did looking critically at the contribution. Plenty to be learned from that.

Good point.
Once I get to where I can (later today), I’ll add more test-pairs, and include those in the test cases.

DONE :slight_smile:

I don’t understand why Test 5 fails in Validator.

Please do not post the full code here, especially when it is not formatted properly. You may PM me your code and I’ll take a look. Remember to format it using the </> button in the formatting toolbar.

Did you figure it out, or get help from 5DNIL? If not, feel free to direct message to me also.