[Community Puzzle] Interstellar

Coding Games and Programming Challenges to Code Better

Send your feedback or ask for help here!

Created by @Interstellar,validated by @Timinator,@Rafarafa and @DeanTheMachine.
If you have any issues, feel free to ping them.

Hi,

I see that Iā€™m the first to talk on this puzzle.
The format handling is quite special anyhow it is a nice exercice.
I was able to get all tests ok but validators 7 and 10 are failing, any indication of their specificities versus tests?

Thanks !

Validators 7 and 10 deal with partial input, very much like their test counterparts. If test 7 is:

Input
-i
k

Output
Direction: i+k
Distance: 1.41

Try if your code gives the expected result for:

i
j

or

j
-k

etc.

Validator 10 covers the same idea but with only two coordinates instead of one, similar to test 10.

1 Like

I have most stuff working, but when I submit 1, 7, 8 & 10 fail. It seems like all the parsing and formatting is correct. Is there anyway to get some opinions on my code for what I might be missing?

If you fail Validator 7 & 10 there is a high chance that you are not properly dealing with:

1. The sign before the first component of directional vector is omitted if it is positive.

I suggest trying these handmade testcases:

-j
i
Direction: i+j
Distance: 1.41
-k
k
Direction: k
Distance: 2.0

and similar tests that you can find yourself.

Maybe @Interstellar could consider adding a couple more testcases like those to help with the debugging?

1 Like

Thank you, your test cases help a great deal. I created a bunch for myself as well all of them are passing, but the Test 1 & 8 are still failing when I submit. Does anyone have some test cases I can use to find the issue?

It seems that Validator 1 & 8 are the only ones where the three coordinates are negative, maybe that could be the issue? Try something like:

i+j+k
-2i-2j-2k
Direction: -i-j-k
Distance: 5.2