[Community Puzzle] Shadow Casting

Coding Games and Programming Challenges to Code Better

Send your feedback or ask for help here!

Created by @manychois,validated by @David_Augusto_Villa,@Alex-1 and @jeedayy.
If you have any issues, feel free to ping them.

I didn’t see a test or a validator that contains the minus character.

Hmm, my solution fail on the last test case, but passes validation…

The last test case has backticks in it.

1 Like

yeah, well, not i don’t have to think about it in my solution. not good (or is it? should a shadow cast any shadow?)

Hello there, I just passed all the test cases but the final validator just give me 75% of success because only the very first validator (horizontal line) fail. However, I’ve got actually no clue of what is wrong with my code… How I’m supposed to handle this?

5 Likes

Name of the test is kind of a clue, but it’s possible that your code doesn’t handle empty line correctly.
First validator looks similar to this:

######

Expected answer:

(new line)
######
 ------
  ``````

The formatting is not perfect, but I think you should get the point :slight_smile:

5 Likes

My brain’s broken now. :brain:
Not used to do that kind of challenges.
But very satisfying to see all the beautiful ASCII in the end. :star_struck:

Same situation, all tests are ok, but one error validator “horizontal line”, it is a very idiot message. How can we do ?

You may create a custom test case of just a single horizontal line and see if your code handles it correctly. See also the sample in one of the messages above, which mentions another possible trap too.

2 Likes

Any CLue regarding the “Hollow”?

Unfortunately, that validator consists of some shapes quite dissimilar to the test cases. Try the following (I made it myself), which is closer to that validator:

_     _
          |_|   | |
__  _____  _  __| |
\ \/ / _ \| |/ _  |
 \  / (_) | | (_| |
  \/ \___/|_|\____|
1 Like

What is the solution, then?

Hi,
In my opinion, there is a mistake on test 4, second line, under the second “g”, it should be “-” and not “’”…
My solutions is ok and obtains 100% on validators !

The last test (number 4) has backticks “`” in input, which is strange because backticks are supposed to represent shadow.
And what is stranger is that validator number 4 expects backticks (given in input) to make shadow (shadow makes shadow).
I think backticks should be removed from input in test number 4.

Not sure what am I doing wrong but passed all test with no issues. Surprisingly low success rate for this one.

Which is not that surprising from another perspective…

same here, I have the exact same situation, failing the last test case, but pass the validation

Agreed. There’s a light shadow directly diagonally adjacent from a solid letter on the final test case.
This looks like a bug.
Validators still pass though.

same issue here… did you find a clue?