[Community Puzzle] Smooth!

https://www.codingame.com/training/easy/smooth

Send your feedback or ask for help here!

Created by @JBM,validated by @bbb000bbbyyy,@Niako and @dbdr.
If you have any issues, feel free to ping them.

Does not untherstand the rules.
what is on the first line one of each fruit?

what is replaced by 3 bananas in the example?

1 Like

@JBM do you think you could give an example of how this game would work with a higher starting number? im not sure if the game allows the same fruit to be used multiple times. Maybe i am overthinking this but im having a really hard time understanding the game and its stopping me from being able to solve the challenge. Can you only win at the end of a turn with 1 fruit remaining and otherwise if the number is not divisible by 5||3||2 your opponent wins? Appreciate you, thanks.

I have solved this puzzle and maybe I can help you.

Yes, it does. To example to win with f=9 you have to replace two times with oranges and then with one watermelon.

Yes, because as your last action to win, you have to replace one fruit with one watermelon.

I was also a little confused by the statement at the beginning too. To say it a bit more mathematical: In every game turn (with n fruits) you can replace the fruits by n/5 fruits (bananas), n/3 fruits (oranges), n/2 fruits (apples) or n fruits (watermelon). If n is not divisible by 5, 3 or 2 and n is not 1, you lost.
Except by the last action, it’s not important, which fruit is on the table, only how much.

I hope I could help you.

5 Likes

The english description should really be revised, preferably by someone who speaks the language and is up for the task. It’s close to impossible to comprehend as is.

4 Likes

Rules don’t explicitly forbid to replace any number of fruits with watermelons.
So if there are 7 fruits, Ham can replace them with 7 watermelons.
In turn, Ming can replace them with 7 watermelons again, and basically game never ends.

That’s true. But your task is to find out if they can win the game playing optimally. And replacing a number of a number of fruits > 1 by watermelons is never optimally.

1 Like

Replacing 7 fruits with 7 watermelons is optimal, because otherwise player loses.
Basically, that’s the only legit move in this case.

What I meant is that it doesn’t matter in this case: You can replace it and the game never ends (which is equal to losing the game). So if you have 7 fruits left, you will lose in either case.

So yes, the rules don’t forbid replacing any number of fruits with watermelons, but that doesn’t change the problem.