[Community Puzzle] Unfolding paper

Coding Games and Programming Challenges to Code Better

Send your feedback or ask for help here!

In the new Community Puzzle Unfolding Paper are 3 testcases missing.
You can break the problem down to a number sequence and notice, that startpieces are missing.
For a complete puzzle you need startpieces where

1. a startpiece pattern touches only left and right
  2. a startpiece pattern touches only left and right and the top
  3. a startpiece pattern touches only left and right and bottom

These pieces can’t be created by other startpieces (believe me, i can proof!) and loop in each other.

if you unfold a pattern with case1 you get 2 times the pattern of case1
if you unfold a pattern with case2 you get 1 times the pattern of case1
if you unfold a pattern with case3 you get a pattern of case3 and a pattern of case2

Therefore a startpattern like

#####
..#..
..#..

would create full test coverage after unfolding it 3 times.

Sorry for my bad english and have a nice day,
Essigautomat

Hi, I’m having trouble with Unfolding Paper puzzle.
All of my IDE test cases are green, but I can’t reach 100% in my final submission, as at least one case always fails.
As I understand, final submission test cases should just check hard coded solutions, and it seems that here some new test cases are introduced, not just similar to IDE’s.
I didn’t hard code anything in my solution. It’s certainly not perfect, but it seems I can’t improve it unless I’ll see those new test cases and understand why my algorithm fails there.

Which case are you failing?

Big sheet. In IDE the number of parts doesn’t change from repeated unfoldings, but looks like the same logic doesn’t cover final submission case.

Well while it may be better to add a test case more similar to the valiator, it’s not too difficult to list down some possible paper patterns. I think the challenge is to work out all the possible patterns, not just to satisfy test cases. For example:

######
# #  # 
# # ##
# #  # 
######

Well, my algorithm covers this case. Although the pattern is different from IDE’s, it has the same idea.

Chingmann gave another pattern, which my algorithm processes incorrectly, maybe it will help others too.

"#..#.#",
 "#..###",
 "#....#",
 "######"]
1 Like

Well, i’m stuck with the “Many pieces” validators. my Algo passes all the ide test cases.
Any clue that can help me is welcome.

Any help please?

your code timeouts

In this case, N=16

Hi, could you check why my submission fails on Long unfolding and Many pieces? All IDE testcases are green.