Cython in CodinGame

As a python programmer I would like Cython so that I can compete (better) in the more computationally challenging challenges.

At the time of writing this I am 80 in Ultimate Tic Tac Toe with the top Python bot sitting at 68. This is a game that relies on significant simulation. By increasing my bot locally from 0.1-0.2 seconds you see a win rate of 66%. You often see 2x increases without even using any of the Cython specific decorators.

I have a lot of experience in Python and while I can program / learn in other languages I would prefer if I could stay in the Python / Cython world. As a more hobby programmer it takes a long time to gain fluency in a language.

Has Cython been consider?
Would you consider Cython?
Can I write if for you?

! I do not want this to devolve into a argument that python should just get more time. !

11 Likes

Hello,

I see nobody replied to this question in two years ? But maybe people just aren’t familiar enough with Python to care about Cython compilation/optimization. It would indeed be nice if some basic features (maybe not all of them) were available. Without changing a line of code Cython can speed up Python multiple times.

It’s up to the CodinGame staff to decide whether or not they can afford the extra compilation time. They can probably use it behind the scenes, and do some tests before deciding if they should enable. A warning though, Cython is another language by itself. While you can use it passively to speed up Python, you could also make it available on its own as a separate language.

2 Likes