[FAQ] (Really) Frequently Asked Questions

how do I run output to the debug log? also, why does the script I start with change when I reset the script?

You might have been with an old version of the default script, it has been updated since. It’s clearly mentioned in it how to output debug information, in most language, that imply writing on the error output (stderr)

This message was previously posted on MIME puzzle:

I have made my solution in C++, it passes all the test cases successfully, but when I submited my solution, I got 90% with Consideration of the case (upper or lower) (100 pts) not being validated.

How could I know where I misdid in my solution ? it’s weird that the test cases don’t coverage all the test conditions but the validation test do.

Could you please enlighten me about this issue, thanks

2 Likes

Q: My code pass all the tests but when i submit, i don’t get 100%?
To avoid cheating by hardcoding, the tests you have to pass on submit are slightly different than the code tests. Sometimes there are even some tests that are exclusive to submit tests. If you dont’t get 100% that means either:

You have a minor error in your code (roundage, etc)
You haven’t considered all the cases
You hardcoded
Codingame has a bug (really check your code before ;))

Check all aff this, + if it’s upper lower case then try to see if your code can find the extension of .FFF .fFf .ffF, etc

Thanks for responding me, I understand what you mean and I agree with you 100%.
But here is my case:

I read the filename
I extract the extension --> FFF fFf ffF
I transform the extension in lowerCase --> strLower AND : fff fff fff
I transform the extension in UpperCase --> strUpper FFF FFF FFF

Then I check in my “map(extension, MIME)” for both strings AND the original extension
(fff fff fff) (FFF FFF FFF) ( FFF fFf ffF)

I don’t see how there could be a problem with this algorithm

I’m new to coding; I work in the IT sector, alongside people who have to code but have never had to myself. I thought I’d learn how to because it could only help, I started with C because I heard it’s good for beginners. I followed the tutorial and it was like it stopped halfway before explaining anything about the coding. I had no idea what I was supposed to do.

Q: How many processors is there available on the host machine to run my solution?

A: sysconf reports number of processors online = 4 (sometimes 8)

PS: if somebody wants to introduce solution which does not fit in the time mentioned in task description - you are welcome! for example if somebody can not extend his AI possibilities further due to time limitation - come on!

Actually, this site isn’t much about learning how to code, but practicing. Nevertheless, you can find a lot of people willing to help you get started in the Onboarding puzzle discussion and also in the irc chat that you can access on the left.

Feel free to read the numerous topic on this forum too, there are already people that recommend some website to learn the basics.

I think you should include this link on this topic or somewhere on the home page.

I couldnt find this anywhere. Had to search it via Google

2 Likes

“What is clash of code?” should be added somewhere in this.
Seems to be a usual question in IRC.

Maybe put a banner when joining which people can make disappear with a “don’t show me again”.

You don’t want people running away because they got a reverse clash as their first clash.

3 Likes

What does the “Unlocking Hint” feature in the new IDE is? Does ‘unlocking a hint’ have any consequences, like, points penalty, or is it merely here to… um… prevent the temptation to peek the answer?

@defazerz I dunno, I think it won’t give you less point, since Codingame point system have always been fair, but for more information, i’ll summon @G_Rom and/or @yohannjardin

There are no penalty for unlocking a hint.
It’s just that some people do not want to get a hint, we do not want to force them to get the hint. That’s all :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is it possible to try older challenges ? I mean, I would like to code on a former challenge, as code vs zombie. Is it only possible ?

thank you

Yes, all old challenges are now in the ‘puzzles’ or ‘AI bots’ pages. You can directly access them from the navigation menu on your left.

Code vs Zombies is in the optimization tab of the puzzles page.

1 Like

Is there a way to see in the result page the error message or the result of the test or logs ?

I’m trying to do the Rollercoaster puzzle and I had errors where some test were not passing … while passing in the IDE => I wanted to check logs or something but didn’t find anything :frowning:

1 Like

How does the Optimization Criteria Value get calculated?

Is there going to be an mobile app that would allow you to work on your code while being out of home?

Is there a way to do step-by-step debugging?

Why in some puzzles the test cases on the puzzle page do not match those in the final submission page. Like in the case of “Super computer” puzzle.

Why on the puzzle page I got only 3 test cases?

Example 1
Example 2
Large number of scientists

while in the final page when I submit my solution I am getting :

Simple Case
One scientist
All starting days are identical
All end dates are identical
Parallel calculations
Overlapping calculations
Large number of scientists
Large number of satisfied scientists

The thing is I pass all three tests on the puzzle page. But when I submit my solution I get only 87% and a statement that last test “Large number of satisfied scientists” not passed.

The thing is I want the test cases on the puzzle page to match those on the final score page.