Game Of Drones multiplayer challenge discussion

Feel free to discuss about Game Of Drones’s challenge!

What did you think about the subject ?

Hi @FredTreg!

Are there any tools which can help me with debugging?
My neat Dump extension method in C# was already setup, but unlike in puzzles writing to .Error does not anything.

As i understood it was from the very beginning and is on all contests?

Thanks you for a masterpiece site!

Hi,
The size of stderr message is too small on game of drones. It is truncated very short !

Hi,

I just tested some simple logic on this game, and I was surprised how easy it is to beat half of the players. My idea was this trivial logic:

At the beginning of the game:
    For each of my drones -> d:
        select a zone -> z randomly
        assign z to d
In each turn:
    For each of my drones:
        print coordinates of the previously assigned zone

This is the most trivial solution I can think of. (And I believe it is very similar to the “Default AI”) And it gave me the following results:

655 out of 2124 players - 22.80 score (at 2017.02.27.) :open_mouth: :slight_smile:

Just wanted to say a quick thank you to the CG developers for going back to older competitions and adding links to postmortems and programming techniques, and nice descriptions. It is a huge help, and I have learned a lot. It’s a lot of effort to keep the old stuff maintained so nicely. Thank you so much!

I woke up one morning with a notification that I’ve reached Bronze :slight_smile:
Judging by my code, the game didn’t grab my attention at first, as I was just assigning drones in order (not even the closest zone). So I did that and got me to even worst result - right at the bottom of Bronze. It turns out, that opponents around me are doing exactly the same thing and we just stood there, gaining equal points the whole game :slight_smile:
I’ve added simple checks for zones that I control but there is no point in just standing there and zones that I don’t control and will be difficult to capture, so I’ve treated these drones as ‘free’ and seek zones that are not in anyone’s control or weak zones that I can capture easily. That bumped me 1000 places :slight_smile:

So, my implementation try-outs sort of drag me towards “Ghost in the cell” - like checking for incoming, getting there faster, and such, but I don’t really have time at the moment and I really like to wait for a boss and then continue.