Swift 3.0 is out, do you have plans to update anytime soon?

I give you some points why now is the best time to do the upgrade.
Swift 3.0 is an official major release that brings a significant changes in syntax so most code written in Swift 2.x could not compile in swift 3.0.
In Apple community it is a main language now, swift 2.x projects are not guaranteed to be compatible with next iOS/macOS/whateverOS versions, but 3.0 have to be more long-term.
For people who want to learn Swift with CodinGame (like myself when it was Swift 2) there is no advantage to learn old version of swift.

7 Likes

It’s also not really convenient to check old the documentation. Since this is suppose to be fun, why make it less fun? :slight_smile:
I’ll continue again later when I can use Swift 3.

1 Like

Even Swift 2.3 is being dropped by Apple. I’d really appreciated an update to Swift 3.0 on CodinGame :slight_smile:

Deprecations
Xcode 8.2 is the last release that will support Swift 2.3. Please migrate your projects to Swift 2.3 code to Swift 3 syntax by opening the project and choosing Edit > Convert > To Current Swift Syntax.

From - https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/content/releasenotes/DeveloperTools/RN-Xcode/Introduction.html

Yeah, I just tried a puzzle, and half the library methods I tried to call don’t exist. It’s unusable until it gets updated to Swift 3.

Swift 3 would be really nice here. All previous versions where kinda incomplete until 3.0. It will make it much more fun to have this major version. I got stumbled when a standard swift function didnt exist that I use alot in Swift 3 and alot of others.

1 Like

Ping? It’s been three months since the first post and Swift 2 is all but dead; next version of Xcode won’t support it any more. Without Swift 3, you might as well not support it all…

Any news on an update for Swift 3 ?

It’s disturbing to try to remember the old syntax, which will soon be fully deprecated.

Thanks you :slight_smile:

good news, I hear from the team that it should be released next week :wink:

Hey there – I gather something was just updated for Swift. The Foundation module is suddenly no longer available causing some (minor) grief while I sort out a new timing function (Date() was just so convenient). Is this the first step of a swift 3 migration?

Regards
:smile:

Yep, you can now select “Swift3” in the menu :wink:

1 Like

Amazing, I will finally be able to code in Swift 3!

pinging everyone
@Megal
@GreatS
@jeyries
@ObjectiveSeki
@Zialus
@SneakPeek
@pilot34
@PhilipFryklund
@Leaky
@Mapache
@Gizmhail

3 Likes

Excellent! Thanks for all the hard work.

Great news, thanks for the update.

Oh, that’s a marvelous news :slight_smile:

Thanks for the update (and thanks for the ping to discover it :stuck_out_tongue: )

We have Foundation module in swift3. I even envy because I can use Foundation.Measurement in CodinGame, but I cannot use it on my OSX 10.11 machine ;p

I want to start learn iOS programming and I don’t know from what should I start. I read this https://www.cleveroad.com/blog/swift-vs-objective-c--what-is-the-best-language-for-ios-development- and I want to know, is it true or not? Should I learn Objective C before Swift?

I know a lot of iOS Developers who doesn’t know Objective-C at all.
In my opinion, Swift is a right choice to start with; Objective-C knowledge may not even ever be useful nowadays.
If you need to understand Objective-C code you can use online Objective-C -> Swift translator.