The categorization of puzzles added to "Classic Puzzles" feels wrong

Hello there.

I’ve been working on the puzzles you added to the Classic Puzzles and I noticed that the categorization is somewhat random. Some puzzles are tagged as easy even though they clearly shouldn’t be there. The “legacy” Easy Puzzles were well crafted and were a good introduction to any languages you’d like to discover. If I take Python, going through Easy Puzzles helps newcomers learning about the basics of list, dictionary and stuff. Once you’re done with easy, you can then move on to Medium and discover advanced concepts like graphs.

Now in Easy you can find puzzles like “orDer oF succeSion”. Graph analysis through DFS is not something easy and newcomers should not have to tackle this so quick. If anything, it’s gonna scare some people wanting to learn through Codingame and maybe drive them away from coding forever.
I took a look at the Very Hard section and some puzzles do no look that hard at first glance. I haven’t solved it yet but I don’t think that “Advanced Tree” is something that should be classified as very hard.

So I’ve got a few questions:

• Why did you add puzzles to these classic puzzles? It doesn’t feel classic at all now (no offense to people who crafted the new ones, they are great and I’m not judging quality here).
  • Why did you add so many puzzles at once and how did you classify them (please don’t tell me you used the solvers count)?
  • Do you intend to add more puzzles?
  • Do you intend to fix these classifications?

Thanks for taking the time to read this :slight_smile:

Some quick answers:

Why did you add puzzles to these classic puzzles? It doesn’t feel classic at all now (no offense to people who crafted the new ones, they are great and I’m not judging quality here).

We want CodinGame to empower CodinGamers and give them the power to shape their platform. Under this light, it didn’t make sense to keep contributions separated from the “classic” puzzles.

Why did you add so many puzzles at once and how did you classify them (please don’t tell me you used the solvers count)?

It was easier and there was no real reason to migrate in multiple batches. We used the success rate of puzzle to preset the difficulty.

Do you intend to add more puzzles?

As CodinGame? We might. We try to help the community craft better puzzles and games.

Do you intend to fix these classifications?

A lot of CodinGamers (level > 29) can update the difficulty of puzzles. If the difficulty of a puzzle is challenged, reasons to change should be explained and any moderator can do the change.

You’ll find some additional information here:
https://www.codingame.com/forum/t/community-puzzles-updates/36643

Hey Thibaud.
Thanks for your answer, I guess now I have to level up and help adjusting the difficulty then :smiley:

Have a nice day!

1 Like