There is no Spoon - Episode 1 puzzle discussion

You can use http://pastebin.com/ to share code, because your Google Doc is not publicly available.

Sorry - that link may not workā€¦ try this:
No Spoon Link

If itā€™s Python3, you missed the ā€œfile=sys.stderrā€ part

# To debug: print("Debug messages...", file=sys.stderr)

Like :

print("Debug messages...", width, height, file=sys.stderr)

Thank you! That helped!

Hi all, I got all test cases passed, but once I submit the code, it fails on the ā€œsingleā€ test case and I do not know how to debug it. Anybody has the same problem? Result is 88% and not 100%ā€¦ Any help?

Hello, just stupid questionā€¦is there a difference between evaluation from top to bottom in columns and from left to right in rows? Because I wrote this in rows and it fails theirs stupid evaluationā€¦dont want to rewwire it.

Changed implementation and now it works

Hi, complete noob here and need some help. This is Javascript and my code doesnā€™t seem to save the x1, x2, y1, y2 results. I declared the variables outside the for loops. This is not a complete code since Iā€™ve just started. Any ideas what I am doing wrong.

/**
 * Don't let the machines win. You are humanity's last hope...
 **/

var width = parseInt(readline()); // the number of cells on the X axis
var height = parseInt(readline()); // the number of cells on the Y axis
var x1 = '';
var y1 = '';
var x2 = '';
var y2 = '';
var x3 = '';
var y3 = '';

for (var i = 0; i < height; i++) 
{
    for (var j=0; j < width; j++ ) 
    {
    var line = readline(); // width characters, each either 0 or .
    if (line === 0)
        {
            x1 = j;
            y1 = i;
            j++;
            if (line === 0)
            {
                x2 = j;
                y2 = i;
                j--;
            } else 
                { 
                    x2 = -1;
                    y2 = -1;
                    j--;
                }

}

}
 print (x1 + " " + y1 + " " + x2 + " " + y2 + " " + '0 0');

}

// Write an action using print()
// To debug: printErr('Debug messages...');
//printErr('Debug messages...', + x1);

// Three coordinates: a node, its right neighbor, its bottom neighbor

[SOLVED] (there was a space missing)
Iā€™m getting the following error in swift. Any guess of what causes this? Looks like a bug in codingame.

Game information:
invalid input. Expected ā€˜x1 y1 x2 y2 x3 y3ā€™ but found ā€˜0 0 -1 -1-1 -1ā€™

Several thingsā€¦

1. The 0 in if (line === 0) should be in quotes. The number 0 and a string that represents the number 0 are not equal.
  2. That same line, as written, is comparing the whole string to 0 rather than looking at the individual characters in it, which is what I think you wanted to do.
  3. The else block will never be called. Iā€™ll elaborate if you want but hopefully you can figure out why by following the flow of the program.

Bonus advice: Since the data is given to you in rows, readline() should be called once for each row, not each character.

I cant even get started with this one

i have used this code in an attempt to output the full grid to the console (and show i can reading it correctly)

for ($i = 0; $i < $height; $i++)
{
   error_log($line); 
}

But all that does is repeat the first line of the grid for as many times as there are rows.

IE

if we have the following grid

X X X
X
X

it would output

0 0 0
0 0 0
0 0 0

when the output should be

0 0 0
0 . .
0 . .

How can i read each line in the grid?

Check the console, your output does not follow the right form.

by the look of it, Iā€™d say itā€™s an index issue. Donā€™t hesitate to use debug prints (printErr in JS I think) to understand when your program fails to enter a loop

Got the same problem

I didnā€™t want to use the 2D Array way so i created a Object and just do the calc in the main.

admin edit: please dont just post your code. Either ask a specific question or give hints for others

Pro tip: Keep looking for neighbors to the south and west until you reach the edge of the map. In my first attempt I failed to look for neighbors more than one cell away. Seeing the test case made it clear that I was supposed to keep searching in a given direction. This was frustrating at first but it added a nice complexity element once I knew what was expected.

1 Like

I think I must be missing something with the input, my code passes all the test cases on my local machine but fails on the site. Can anyone help me?

As I understand it I get the width and height as an integer, then a string with all of the rows from top to bottom, so a grid like this:

should have input like this:

and thatā€™s how I modeled the tests.

But I fail the horizontal case which looks like this:

on the site, but I pass it on my machine with the inputs

I tried printing out the third input as I get it and I get 0.0.0

Am I just misunderstanding what the inputs are supposed to look like?

Iā€™ve put my code here, apologies for it being a bit messy, I only started learning python yesterday:
https://pastebin.com/207r2Nys

I feel like Iā€™m missing something. Any solution Iā€™ve tried in C++ results in a timeout. It almost seems like just taking in the inputā€™s alone takes up the majority of the available time before an output is required.
Solutions so far have been recursive and non-recursive and even then if I donā€™t just output immediately I get the infamous ā€œTimeout: the program did not provide 1 input lines in due timeā€¦ā€ error.
In fact Iā€™ve even tried just outputting right after the default setup and receive this error. If I just run it from default setup I get the timeout and no output of the 0 0 1 0 0 1. It doesnā€™t seem to allow at all for a C++ solution.

I just test it with the default C++ template and I get

Game information:
Timeout: Only 1 node has been computed.

This is different that what youā€™re saying. Your problem comes from not printing a '\n' most likely

int main()
{
    int width; // the number of cells on the X axis
    cin >> width; cin.ignore();
    int height; // the number of cells on the Y axis
    cin >> height; cin.ignore();
    int array[height][width];
    for (int i = 0; i < height; i++) {
        for(int x = 0; x < width; x++){
               cin >> array[i][x]; cin.ignore();
        }
    }
        cout << "0 0 1 0 0 1" << endl;   
}

Game information:
Timeout: the program did not provide 1 input lines in due timeā€¦

Itā€™s funny, yesterday the above was default. Today it doesnā€™t setup the array at all. The only thing missing from the above code that was setup was the debug message section I deleted.

1 Like