ASCII art puzzle discussion

Hi guys. I’ve written a code in C# for this puzzle and it is just giving me the weirdest outputs… After a couple of hours trying to change the code to make it work correctly, I’ve still been largely unsuccessful. If you guys can understand the logic that I was going for and help me figure out the stupid mistakes that I might have done, I would truly appreciate it. Otherwise, I’ll just start over and make a new code from scratch.
Here’s the code:

Edit: No full code. Problem solved.

This part of you code is weird

for (int j = 0; j < alph; j++)
{
    parts[j] = ROW.Substring(L*j,L);
}

You will overwritte parts[j] with j=0-> 27, everytime you have a new ROW…

Hi there! Thanks for the quick reply and for pointing that out. That was a big mistake that was indeed messing with the code. I’ve already replaced parts[j] by parts[j+27*i] and now that part of the code is doing what it was supposed to do. :slightly_smiling:
Now i’m getting the first line of the output always correct but the other lines are completely out of place. If you could still help me find whatever is wrong with the rest of the code, I would really appreciate it.

I’ve found the other mistake in my code. In the last for I should have used parts[position+aalph] instead of parts[position+aH]. The only test that is not working after that change is the fourth test (printing ? in ascii art if a character isn’t in the alphabet) but i think that I’ll be able to make it work for that as well after some other changes. :slightly_smiling:

Yup that’s it, and for ‘?’, you should overwrite “num” to 26 when the char is not a letter

1 Like

Et en Python on commence par où sur celui là, quand on est débutant? Pas d’indice?
Un peu décourageant alors que pour les premiers je me suis débrouillé…
Versez une larme… :’-(

Sais-tu ce qu’est un dictionnaire ?

Euh, oui, mais Il faut que je regarde, C’est déjà une piste. Merci.

Top! Je sais maintenant vraiment ce qu’est un dictionnaire… Je suis allé au bout, juste avec la question “Sais tu ce qu’est un dictionnaire?”

Hi everyone, I could use some help.
I’m coding in Python3

I have succeeded in getting the corresponding numbers for each of the characters in the string t in input.

However, I am stuck when I want to print the lines in ASCII.
Part of it is because I don’t understand how they built the alphabet: is it a table, a succession of string?

Can you give me an indication on how should I use the object “row”? ir doesn’t make sense at the moment.

Thanks for your help.

i need the code for a clase i dont understand this code!

Has anyone solved this puzzle in Swift? I’m a beginner and struggling to search a string to see what CHAR it contains. how do i do this?

It happens to me as well. Any idea?

So I pass all the validation tests except for Test full alphabet in CAPS WMADXESFGIJVTHKNOBPLY. Is there a way to see my output for this test so I can troubleshoot? Or do I have to just throw darts at the board and hope that it eventually validates? It’s strange to me that this is the only test Ive failed…

There is no way to see the output of a validator, for good reason.

What language? Can you run your program outside the IDE? It looks like the full input is WMADXESFGIJVTHKNOBPLYQRUZC.

• danBhentschel

Ha. Slow brain here. Or you could just use that input to create a custom test. :slight_smile: Use one of the other tests to get a character set. Any one should do.

• danBhentschel

I’m using Java and I will try with the full input. Thank you!

You can also try this very simple test case and see if anything shows up:

WMADXESFGIJVTHKNOBPLYQRUZC
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ?

The output should be identical to the input:

WMADXESFGIJVTHKNOBPLYQRUZC
  • danBhentschel

oh… I have a Y where an X should be. Thanks for your help again.

1 Like

Try using ’ instead of "