Languages update

3 weeks to do some language updates before the next competition…

Any chance?

Latest LTS of Node and Java are Node 20 and Java 21. Please update.

Please let us have the new C#12 stuff. Way more shorthands so we can somehow compete in shortest mode.

Would love to see C# 12 with .NET 8. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Can you please update to C++20? It’s one of the reason why I haven’t used codinggame lately as I don’t like to work with a 6 year old C++ standard…

Still no C++20. Not sure I’m interested in this contest then (at least not in anything beyond Python). :face_vomiting:

6 years since C++17, 3 years since C++20. When are we finally gonna have an update ?

We need C++20 please :pleading_face:

I agree on C++20 update, would be very nice and useful to be able to practice with the latest techniques and keep learning new stuff :slight_smile:
I couldn’t write my solution to a puzzle the way I wanted because constructing a basic_string_view from two iterators is a C++20 feature and so I had to give up on string_view altogether and change the whole solution for more basic code

Would you consider upgrading the Kotlin compiler again, or having another look at the supporting infrastucture? The setup in use since around 2021 is way too slow for any practical applications (often around 1 minute reaction time for testing a one-liner).
I am not sure if the issue lies with the compiler in use - there have been several improvements in the 1.8.x and 1.9.x releases - or with how it is embedded within CodinGame, but any improvement of the current status would be most appreciated.

In fact, don’t bother to update to C++20. C++23 is finalised since almost a year now. Latest GCC implements the majority of features. Just pick the latest GCC or Clang and turn on the latest language version it has a flag for. Come-on CodinGame, this is ridiculous - no update to languages at all in 3 years? That is a true statement of how much you value your community.

FYI, we’ve just upgraded C++ to C++20.
We also made other upgrades last year that weren’t mentioned here.
As a reminder, the list of all language versions is available here: Coding Games and Programming Challenges to Code Better

3 Likes

Could you please update python and its packages versions on the linked page?

Current versions in IDE:

python: 3.11.5 (main, Aug 29 2023, 15:31:31) [GCC 13.2.0]
numpy: 1.23.2
pandas: 1.4.2
scipy: 1.9.3
2 Likes

Some of the C++20 features are not working. For example std::format which was introduced in GCC 13 while CodinGame uses 11.2.0.

Would you please indicate the Rust edition on the language versions page? This information, in addition to the Rust compiler version, is important for determining which language features are available and for setting up a local development environment.

(My current guess is Rust 2021.)

1 Like

It’s better to post in bug reporting channel on Discord to get faster response.

IMHO, that is too little, too late. Neither was the compiler updated to any recent version, nor does CodinGame support the current version of the standard. To put it bluntly: After three years, the language update consists of flipping one command-line switch that you should have put there right away in the first place?

Professionals who work with modern C++ have long committed C++20 to muscle memory, are anticipating C++23 support to improve and are currently actively exploring C++26 features. I don’t consult cppreference anymore to check if a particular C++20 feature is supported by my compiler, I write my code under the firm assumption it does. Getting bitten by lack of support by a compiler that is outdated by many years is frustration that I do not need in my leisure time. And when onboarding junior co-workers, we cannot direct them here for training either: They need to learn our restrictions and coding guidelines anyway, so it doesn’t matter if CodinGame were to support more features than what we are using in our production code (spoiler: you don’t). But the converse is not true: We don’t want our juniors to learn outdated patterns, because of lack of support by the toolchain they use during training.

1 Like

Hey, will codingame some others languages in the future which aren’t actually available ?

1 Like

according to Coding Games and Programming Challenges to Code Better
the go compiler version is 1.18.1

We miss important features when writing puzzle responses in this version (no slices package for example) which is quite annoying…

Would you consider upgrading go compiler version ?

Hello, do you have any plan to move to JDK 21 ?

Websites https://whichjdk.com/ and JDK Distributions - SDKMAN! the Software Development Kit Manager will list a ton of vendors so you can have latest JDK without any license.

Amazon Corretto, Eclipse Temurin and Azul Zulu are strong condidates.