Languages update

Thanks for the Dart update! Iā€™m excited to have enums and better collection support. Might even try isolates for AI/GA experiments.

4 Likes

Hopefully my errors in Rust are not constantly contradicted by the documentation now!

2 Likes

Does this mean we now have access to Linq in VB.Net?

2 Likes

Thanks for the C# Update

Any word on when Elixir will be added to the list of languages?

6 Likes

:disappointed: When I read the topic, I thought that we were going to get some new programming languages. I was hoping for Kotlin in particular. It has been in demand for a while and should be very easy to add.

5 Likes

Well itā€™s not that easy to add a new language to the platform :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Weā€™re working on a lot of other things and we currently have not much time to dedicate to adding a language.

For sure we have no clear way of knowing how many players would like which new language, and this doesnā€™t help us to choose. Iā€™m going to look into it. Donā€™t worry, the time will come!

3 Likes

When I read the topic, I thought that we were going to get some new
programming languages. I was hoping for Kotlin in particular. It has
been in demand for a while and should be very easy to add.

Are you sure? When I see the demand there was to add Swift and Rust and the ammount of people using those, I am doubtful that adding more and more ā€œobscureā€ (no sorry, very application specific :stuck_out_tongue: ) languages will make the platform much ā€œbetterā€. Donā€™t forget that adding a language is not just adding a compiler on the server. You have to add a parser for each puzzle, ideally test those to avoid unwanted timeout that would make a puzzle not feasable and, last but not least, keep the language ā€œup-to-dateā€. The more language the site supports, the more place will those task take in the CiG teamā€™s schedule. I personally prefer if they focus their effort into creating more content, more and better puzzlesā€¦ etc

2 Likes

I want Elixir too! please guys do not ignore the comment above.

3 Likes

To be fairā€¦ I wasnā€™t really wanting to use Swift or Rustā€¦ but now that they are there, Iā€™m more inclined to actually check them out.

Yeahā€¦ Iā€™ve been kind of not doing too much of them too quicklyā€¦ but Iā€™ve not really been doing much of anything on this website too quickly. To the point where Iā€™ve mostly been sticking with C and Perlā€¦ even for situations using other languages would be the logical answer to do there (and mocking my own stubbornness with it, rather than actually justifying it).

1 Like

Hi

A rust update would be welcome.

Rust gets a new version every 6 weeks, a regular warning like a google calendar reminder would help you not miss any update :slight_smile:

Can we get an update to Swift 3? Itā€™s a major change from Swift 2, and the app development community has already moved to it, with Apple dropping support for Swift 2 very aggressively.

Plese update Haskell too, I canā€™t use ghc 7.8.3 via stack (on Arch linux) anymore.

Now I have to blindly use 7.10.3 to test code locally and hope nothing will break when submit.

There is no major issue yet but update would be nice :slight_smile:

$ stack --resolver=lts-0.3 setup
Run from outside a project, using implicit global project config
Using resolver: lts-0.3 specified on command line
No information found for ghc-7.8.3.
Supported versions for OS key 'linux64-ncurses6': GhcVersion 7.10.3, GhcVersion 8.0.1

as you can see here, Rust and Haskell have been updated
@wizzup
@Flavius.A

1 Like

The following languages have been updated (just in time for the community contest \o/):

• Bash: GNU Bash 4.4.5 => GNU Bash 4.4.12
  • C: gcc 4.9.2 mode C11 => gcc 7.2.0 mode C11
  • C++: g++ 4.9.2 mode C++11 => g++ 7.2.0 mode C++14
  • C#: C# 6.0 (Mono 4.6.2, .NET 4.5) => C# 6.0 (Mono 5.4.0, .NET 4.6)
  • Clojure: 1.6.0 - Oracle JVM 1.8 => 1.8.0 - Oracle JVM 1.8
  • Dart: 1.16.0 => 1.24.2
  • F#: F# Compiler for F# 4.0 (Open Source Edition) => F# Compiler 4.1 (Open Source Edition)
  • Java: Oracle Java 1.8.0_72 => Oracle Java 1.8.0_152
  • Javascript: SpiderMonkey 49.0 => SpiderMonkey 58.0 (ES6)
  • Go: 1.6.2 => 1.9.1
  • Groovy: 2.4.5 - Oracle JVM 1.8 => 2.4.12 - Oracle JVM 1.8
  • Haskell: GHC 7.10.3 => Haskell Platform 8.2.1
  • Kotlin, Objective-C, PHP: no update
  • Lua: 5.3.0 => 5.3.4
  • OCaml: 4.01.0 => 4.05.0
  • Pascal: Free Pascal Compiler 2.6.4 => Free Pascal Compiler 3.0.2
  • Perl: 5.20.2 => 5.24.1
  • Python 2: 2.7.13 => 2.7.14
  • Python 3: 3.5.3 => 3.6.3
  • Ruby: 2.1.5 => 2.4.2
  • Rust: 1.14 => 1.21.0
  • Scala: 2.12.1 => 2.12.4
  • Swift: 2.2.1 => 4.0
  • Swift 3: REMOVED (see Swift)
  • VB.NET: Compiler Visual Basic 2005 (Mono 4.2.3, .NET 4.5) => Compiler Visual Basic 2005 (Mono 5.4.0, .NET 4.6)

Weā€™ll look into optimization flags next year (O3, Rust debug mode, etc)

PS: There has been some issues linked to this update, in particular with C++. Please check this thread

36 Likes

So good I canā€™t believe my eyes! Yay!

Nice!
Thank you!

Thanks, I was really waiting Python 3.6. Especially type hints and new format.

What happens to the swift3 badges?

There have never been any Swift3 badges, so no problem there.