Languages update

In other news, the ghcide team announced today their next release would be the last one to support the GHC 8.4 branch. GHC 8.10 has already been in maintenance mode for quite some time and release 9.0 is just around the corner.
That version is antique. Are we later yet?

OTOH, having all of the programming languages available in the same image is a boon to creativity and ease of using the right tool for each part of the job.

@TwoSteps, is there any way to get an idea of what language updates might be coming soon? I’d really love to get support for the new const fn support for loops and conditionals in Rust, or even some hint of when it might come up for consideration.

1 Like

None is planned yet, but I’ll work on pushing one soon since it’s been a long time. No idea about Rust.

Hello.
I’m getting random crashes on fsharp at start of each A Code of Ice And Fire arena battle .
example: https://www.codingame.com/replay/492644267

Standard Error Stream:

ERROR: ld.so: object ‘libstdbuf.so’ from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

File name: ‘FSharp.Core, Version=4.7.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a’

Unhandled exception. System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly ‘FSharp.Core, Version=4.7.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a’. The system cannot find the file specified.

1 Like

the problem has been reported already but not solved yet. Let me double-check with my team, they said they did something

I am still getting this error.

Language : F#
Challenge : A code of ice and fire

I always see

ERROR: ld.so: object 'libstdbuf.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

but sometimes I get the following just after

File name: 'FSharp.Core, Version=4.7.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'
Unhandled exception. System.IO.FileNotFoundException: 

This happens very frequently for battles in the arena, so my bot is basically not making much progress.

This problem was the reason of 24 lost battles with total of 33 battles played. It definitely will not be ranked well.

We’re currently trying to deploy a fix.
cc @gsomix

1 Like

It works for me in Tron Battle, so I’ll check other games at evening. Was deploy finished successfully? Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks a lot. Now each battle is played well. FSharp is working now :sunglasses:

1 Like

yes, it worked. Thanks for confirming it.

Any news on a Rust update?
And is this still valid:
Rust submissions are only compiled in release mode for Multiplayer Arena Submits? (e.g. not for Optimization puzzles?) => Rust Release mode compilation

Are .NET 5 and C# 9 in your roadmap? They’ve been here for a long time (like 8 hours or even more!)

3 Likes

And .net 5 has huge improvements in the performance of Regex evaluation. That has always been my single biggest bottle neck :innocent:

1 Like

@Nazdhun no update planned for Rust so far and I believe we use release only for multi arenas

@qbit86 no C#9 is not on our roadmap yet

Would it at least be possible to detect whether the rust code in the ide is yours or that of another participant before deciding whether to run in debug mode?
The idea is that if I try running my bot against emil’s in the ide, then I want his bot to work as it would in the arena.

we’ll activate release mode for Rust this morning in multis (contest included)

6 Likes

YES !!! Thank you so much!

Last general language versions update on CG happened in November 2019, so - as the Fall Challenge is already behind us - I suggest/ask for doing another all-languages update round. I know, some improvements went live on CG in the past year (like .NET Core), but I assume many other language’s interpreter/compiler received important updates recently. (a selfish hint: PHP 8 is released…)

And if you are at it, please add Julia support…Actually I personally do not care too much about that one, but if so many people are asking for it, why not, maybe it is even better than D… I would gladly spend some introduction time with it (maybe time duration worth 15 easy solo puzzles :slight_smile: )

EDIT: just had a quick check at PHP 8. With the new JIT enabled, local run of my 2048 solver code shows a 4x speed increase at same node count. Okay, maybe fellow C++ codingamers are still not trembling in fear :slight_smile: , but still nice. And speed-unrelated enhancements are also nice, with moving towards a stronger typesystem and more readable code.

6 Likes

We’ll look into optimization flags

Please could you support compilation optimizations for Swift? It can be 20-100 times slower without them (see old forum threads here & here). Thanks for everything.