Languages update

Is there any update as to when Python will be upgraded to 3.8+? It has been over a year since its original release of 3.8 and now with 3.9.1 and 3.8.7 having been released earlier this month, I don’t think there has been a better time to readdress this.

I’m really dying to use the 3.8 walrus operator and the new typing features of 3.9.

2 Likes

Are there any pieces of news on CIG platform update like C++ with -O3, Numba package for Python, introduction of Julia, refresh on Rust compiler or .Net upgrade among others?

2 Likes

TypeScript version has been updated from 3.6.3 to 4.2.2 (thanks to a needed update on CG for Work)

As of now, no other update is planned.

2 Likes

Hello, I was wondering when is planned the update to .Net 5?

2 Likes

hey @Palmipedus long time no see!

Ha ok, I thought you were saying this in the context of Typescript.
It’s a shame as there are a lot of performances improvements and new feature that will be useful for C# users…

Bonjour
Do you know when C++20 will be available while compiling our code?
Best regards, 40tude

2 Likes

Is there any plan to update Python version to 3.9?
@admins @moderators

@40tude @codybumba

I think it is worth considering updating Python version to 3.9.

Shall CG update the supported languages?

• To avoid civil unrest, CG shall reconsider its priorities and update all languages ASAP by popular demand!
  • Nah, it is a much more interesting challenge to solve puzzles in archaic language versions.
  • I don’t care about these crappy languages. Just add Julia!
  • Remove languages younger than 25 years! Add support for FORTRAN, ALGOL and COBOL instead.
  • Stop this pestering. CG acts as they see fit.

0 voters

2 Likes

Erf… Polls are no more editable after 5 minutes. I wanted to add “I don’t care! I prefer make a mess by creating polls to ask for everyone’s opinion while the CM already said that no update was planned.” as an option.

Not currently planned doesn’t mean you can’t voice your opinion about it.

I think it’s best to completely censor and silence one side of the argument, to avoid civil unrest. So far everything has been mostly peaceful though.

/s

Hi, would it be possible to bump the Rust compiler version ? The current one on CodinGame is 1.38.0 (the latest stable is 1.51.0). The language has changed since then, which can be a bit misleading when facing errors that cannot be reproduced locally if you just have the latest stable version (what the Rust documentation, SO and your IDE tell is not aligned anymore with the compilation error you may have). Notably, newer Rust versions allows to easily preallocate “big” (ie more than 32 elements…) arrays on the stack, which is not possible with 1.38.0 without using unsafe code. It is not bad, for optimization, but also just to learn the language…

Thanks in advance !

7 Likes

+1 on Rust version update. Current version lacks some useful syntax improvement like
if Some(bar) = foo()

4 Likes

Please update Rust compiler for the following contest

I’ve just had confirmation that there will be an update of the languages just before the Spring Challenge which begins next week. Hopefully, end of this week.
Rust and Python (among others) versions will be updated. But not for C#, GO, PHP, and TypeScript. Also, the Dart update will not be retro-compatible, and will break every existing codes :frowning: I’ll email impacted people.

I will share the complete list update as soon as it’s up.

7 Likes

Last time C++ had a language update, we lost all the stacktraces/error messages.

Any chance this bug will be fixed with the future language update?

Using C++ for a contest is really hard without any information when your code crashes.

most likely, it won’t be fixed :frowning:
I’m going to double-check though